Thread: Attitude and heading indication gone bonkers on 5800T

Attitude and heading indication gone bonkers on 5800T

Hello,

I fly an RV-10 with a 5800T as the primary display and a 4500 deck on the co-pilot side. Additionally, we use a GRT Mini X as a tie-breaker and are using a GTN 650 for nav source. This past week, we upgraded the software on the 5800T to version (Vx13.04.07-MV16). I flew the airplane Saturday on 3 different legs and did not have a problem. However, I went on a VFR (thank God) cross-country flight today and immediately upon takeoff, the heading indicator on the 5800T began swinging wildly to about 30 degrees in each direction from the actual aircraft heading. Right about the same time, the attitude indicator began indicating a 50 degree nose down attitude and then swung back to upward to an attitude where I could have entered a hammer-head. It continued this behavior for the duration of the first leg this Sunday morning. When heading back, the problem got much worse and the heading indicator began making full 360 degree spins and indicating wildly unusual attitudes. Many times, it indicated that we were inverted.

Additional information:
    Aircraft was in mostly straight and level flight.
    4500 and GRT Mini correctly indicated attitude and heading.
    5800T was showing correct airspeed, altitude and turn ball status (Only the attitude and heading were screwed).
    The 4500 and 5800T indicated an "AHRS mismatch"

This airplane is often flown in IMC conditions and could have led to confusion and a potentially very dangerous situation. Where do we start in getting this addressed? There have been several bugs introduced and then fixed in recent software releases. Is this a software issue? I have a hard time believing the ADHRS and magnometer took a crap at the same time. We have used these forums in the past to deal with minor issues. This is not minor. Direction from AFS would be greatly appreciated. I do have a video showing the issue in action, and I can place it on YouTube for viewing by support.

Russ

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    System logs can show some valuable data in these issues.
    With an SD card installed press the following sequence:
    SET -> LOGS -> SYSTEM
    Reply and attach the *.ALS file from the SD card.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com