Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gps2 flight plan

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    Yes, you can force an item into GPS2 using -D-> and because there is no data coming from the device it won't be overwritten. I'll have them disable that option so its doesn't let you do that. In your EFIS just don't use GPS2 as a flight plan source and everything will be fine.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

So if I wanted to use the afs gps as a backup 2nd gps source would using the INTFP on a second screen accomplish that?
    Dave Ford
    RV10

Quote Originally Posted by rvdave View Post
    So if I wanted to use the afs gps as a backup 2nd gps source would using the INTFP on a second screen accomplish that?
    You can only have one active flight plan.

I experienced something similar back in September on a long cross country on an IFR flight plan. Just shortly after take off, I experienced a hardware issue that resulted in my primary GPS unable to communicate with the EFIS. I quickly transferred my flight plan from my GTN650 to the INTFP plan manually, changed the GPS source to the AFS GPS, and continued the flight. I was still legal because the GTN650 was still operational, it just couldn't talk to the EFIS. All I had to do was to manually ensure that the two flight plans generated the same route and position. If you are VFR, it's a no brainer.
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    To do what you are describing you would set your SVN GPS source to GPS2 instead of AUTO or GNAV1. Using SET -> EFIS -> SOURCE. Then create or transfer a flight plan into the INTFP.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

OK I believe that will do it using the internal flight plan for the AFS GPS as a back up thanks. One last thing, if each screen is set to internal flight plan are they each using whichever GPS is ported to that screen?
    Last edited by rvdave; 01-06-2017 at 11:40 AM.
    Dave Ford
    RV10

Quote Originally Posted by rleffler View Post
    You can only have one active flight plan.

I experienced something similar back in September on a long cross country on an IFR flight plan. Just shortly after take off, I experienced a hardware issue that resulted in my primary GPS unable to communicate with the EFIS. I quickly transferred my flight plan from my GTN650 to the INTFP plan manually, changed the GPS source to the AFS GPS, and continued the flight. I was still legal because the GTN650 was still operational, it just couldn't talk to the EFIS. All I had to do was to manually ensure that the two flight plans generated the same route and position. If you are VFR, it's a no brainer.
    Bob, what kind of hardware failure did you have?
    Dave Ford
    RV10

Bob, what kind of hardware failure did you have?
    It was the pin retaining clip in the DB-78 on the back of the GTN650 tray. It allowed the pin to back out and open up the circuit from the GTN650 to the AFS 4500. The symptom didn't arise until three years after the first flight.

It was a nightmare to replace. I thought I put enough slack, but I could have use a couple more feet to make it more convenient to work on. Then removing that many high density pins and putting back in a new connector while lying in an awkward position where it's hard to see, is a real PITA.
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

Just wondering, glad you were able to find and fix it.
    Dave Ford
    RV10