Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gps2 flight plan

Gps2 flight plan

My Gnav1 source is my IFD540, no problems there. My gps2 source is afs gps on mfd2. How do I get a flight plan on gps2 since "insert" does not show up?
    Dave Ford
    RV10

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    A puck will never have a flight plan. How would you enter it into the puck? If the puck was replaced with a GPSMAP or other device then you would get the flight plan from the device. Use INTF (Internal Flight Plan) to plan from the EFIS.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

Trying to understand, if I create internal flight plan on efis which gps does it look for or use? If my afs gps is ported to mfd 2 does the flight plan need to be entered there or if I use pfd 1 which has ifd540 will internal on 1 use the 540 for gps? Is internal flight plan shared on network?
    Dave Ford
    RV10

Quote Originally Posted by rvdave View Post
    Trying to understand, if I create internal flight plan on efis which gps does it look for or use? If my afs gps is ported to mfd 2 does the flight plan need to be entered there or if I use pfd 1 which has ifd540 will internal on 1 use the 540 for gps? Is internal flight plan shared on network?

Dave,

you can only have one active flight plan. I'm unaware of the capability to have one flight plan on your PFD and a different one on your MFD.

I have a similar configuration as you, except I have a GTN650. You can switch your NAV source to either GPS1 or GPS2. All the puck does is supply the current GPS coordinates, which the EFIS will display on the map, and uses that information from the internal flight plan to drive your autopilot if so configured. It will also display the familiar magenta line on your screen. You can use the internal flight plan with either GPS.

One minor point. While the AFS map data and the certified nav data from Avidyne and/or Garmin may the same data from the same source, only the certified data is authorized for IFR. With that said, there is nothing stopping you from having the same flight plan on your Avidyne and a second instance on your EFIS. I have had this debate in my head for what is the best practice here. I have to admit, I usually take the easy path and program my gtn650. Although the internal flight plan has a couple more features that I haven't figured out how to do with my gtn650 yet. The certified data also has all the approach procedure data, which isn't on the EFIS.

I would be curious to Rob's thoughts from a best practice perspective.

bob
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

I think I have somewhat figured this out . GPS2 flight plan must be entered and moved to internal flight plan. I see that regardless of which PFD or MFD are used, as it goes to Internal flight plan it shows up on both efis. The question I have now is that if I load a flight plan on my MFD which has the AFS GPS hooked up to it will it be using the puck as a reference for navigation? Or will the PFD take over and look to the 540 as Nav1 GPS? I was thinking if you started with gps2 and moved it to internal it would use mfd2 gps?
    Last edited by rvdave; 12-22-2016 at 11:57 AM.
    Dave Ford
    RV10

Quote Originally Posted by rvdave View Post
    I think I have somewhat figured this out . GPS2 flight plan must be entered and moved to internal flight plan. I see that regardless of which PFD or MFD are used, as it goes to Internal flight plan it shows up on both efis. The question I have now is that if I load a flight plan on my MFD which has the AFS GPS hooked up to it will it be using the puck as a reference for navigation? Or will the PFD take over and look to the 540 as Nav1 GPS? I was thinking if you started with gps2 and moved it to internal it would use mfd2 gps?
    You control that by setting the map source setting. Whatever you set this to, it will provide position data to both screens. I'm assuming that both are connected to an Ethernet switch. The only way to get them to work independently would be to not connect them together via Ethernet. But then you would lose quite a bit of other functionality.

Map Data Source

The current flight plan source that is displayed on the Map can be set from the following menu:

[MAP] -> [SETTINS] -> [SRC/???] where SRC/??? Can have the following options depending on the radios
    installed in the aircraft:

SRC/GNAV1 430W/530W/480 GPS Navigator Radio setup as GPS 1
    SRC/GPS2 External GPS unit setup as GPS 2
    SRC/MAP Flight Plan activated from the EFIS Map
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

Ok now I'm seeing that, also from course selection switches map source. Now I'm seeing that I can't delete gps2 flight plan from either efis since the delete button grays out for some reason, could this be a software issue? Other source plans will delete.
    Dave Ford
    RV10

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    I think you are still missing the core aspect of the flight plans. Some devices will transmit data that contain a list of waypoints. Devices like Avidyne IFD, iFly, Aera, GPSMAP, AVMAP or other interactive devices that you can program a list of points into. Your GPS2 is the AF-GPS-250 or -2020 which doesn't have any ability for you to enter a flight plan into the devices. You can enter a flight plan into the EFIS you have to use INTFP (internal flight plan) but this doesn't cause the AF-GPS on GPS2 to have a flight plan.

You can remove points from any INTFP because the EFIS has the ability to change the data. But if you change the data on an external devices flight plan it will become an internal flight plan. This is because you aren't modifying the external devices data.

Example:
    Set your IFD to DUBMY HITAK CIGRU KUAO RW35
    GNAV1's Flight Plan will show this sequence
    If you modify it on the EFIS it will become an INTFP
    If you pick GNAV1 as the flight plans source it will revert to what the IFD is sending
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

Yes, I understand that, I believe . What is a little confusing is for example gps2 which is my afs gps allows me to enter a single waypoint in the efis. Once that is entered I cannot change that in any way neither to delete, remove, or change waypoint. Is that normal? The int plan I can alter, remove, delete. So I believe you are saying for afs gps (gps2) to use INTFP ?

I know there is a map source to display plan on efis but which gps does the efis use for navigating? Does it directly use the gps map source selected or does the efis look for ARINC data first? If I use INTFP plan does it default to afs gps for Nav data? Hypothetical, if I lose my mfd during navigating which has afs gps inputted will the pfd efis default to using ifd540 (gps/nav1) for INTFP flight data?
    Last edited by rvdave; 12-31-2016 at 06:16 AM.
    Dave Ford
    RV10

After playing with efis I see that map source switches which gps is used and will flag "no gps" if source goes away. Now what I don't get is that I can enter one waypoint as gps2 and it freezes there, can't alter, and can't transfer it to INTFP. ?
    Dave Ford
    RV10