Thread: OAT issues

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

OAT issues

Have 5600 and 5500 Dual screens with separate OAT's in my Evolution. The lowest temperature that is displayed on the screens is -30 deg. C. On many of my flights, I know that the true outside temp at FL 280 is into the -40's, but the units will display no lower than -30 C. Is this a software issue or a limit of the probes themselves? Because of this temp error, the displayed TAS will be incorrect. Can this be fixed through a software or hardware upgrade?
    Also, on a recent flight at FL240 determining performance at increasing power levels, the indicated OAT dropped 1 degree C. for every 12-15 knot increase in TAS. For example, at TAS of 237Kts, the OAT indicated -22 C. At 262 kts, it was -21 C., 286 kts it was -20 C; at 306 kts it indicated -19 C, at 312 kts it indicated -18 C. I then slowed back down to 237 kts and the OAT returned to -22 C. Does the algorithm for the OAT display take into account the warming of the probe due to friction with increasing speed?

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    Dynon's manual specifies the SV-OAT-340 to reach -40 but the software is limiting to -30C.

I'll check with their engineering to see if anything can be done.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

Thanks, I look forward to your reply

Any progress on this? I am trying to build detailed performance numbers using the data logging on my AFS 5600, but with the lower limit of -30C, I don't get accurate TAS information in the flight levels. The ISA temp reaches -30C at 23,000 feet and I usually fly in the upper 20s where the ISA temp is about -40C. Thanks.

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    It appears this is in the testing phase at Dynon. I would imaging -40
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

Thanks. Let us know when this is upgraded.

I noticed on a flight yesterday that the OAT minimum temp must have been reduced on the last software change. It looks like it's now -40C rather than -30C. Thank you, thank you. I didn't see that listed on the description of changes for the new software, so it was a pleasant surprise.