Thread: Two Audio outputs in a dual screen system? What about two warning lights?

Question Two Audio outputs in a dual screen system? What about two warning lights?

I'm working on a dual screen system with a 3500EF and a 3500EE. My question concerns the audio outputs.

Do all of the the audio alarms come out both outputs, or do some come out the EF (like AOA) and some come out the EM (like engine alarms)? In other words, do I want to wire both outputs to the audio panel?

EDIT - I found the answer to the first question on the old forum:
    3. Do I have to connect the audio output from both the EFIS and the engine monitor cables, or just the EFIS and then that outputs from the engine monitor as well, across the ethernet link?

Only connect one.

Still looking for answer about the warning light:
    Same question for the pin 14 (warning light) output - will the EM engine alarm cause the EE warning light output to activate? If not, I can just tie them both together right (open collector type output)?

Thanks

Dave Gribble
    Cedar Rapids IA
    Last edited by gribbled; 03-07-2010 at 02:17 PM. Reason: found answer to question 1

All the Alarms (Audio and Warning Light) will be output on all screens connected, you should only connect one.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Thanks Rob - now what about the Switch Inputs. Each display has 3, so in a 2 display system can I connect them to 6 different things? If so, can there be 6 different messages / audio files that get displayed / played? Will all messages display / play on each side?

This is like a little CAS system, very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by gribbled View Post
    Thanks Rob - now what about the Switch Inputs. Each display has 3, so in a 2 display system can I connect them to 6 different things? If so, can there be 6 different messages / audio files that get displayed / played? Will all messages display / play on each side?

This is like a little CAS system, very cool.
    Currently the inputs do not transfer between screens.
    Rob Hickman

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hickman View Post
    Currently the inputs do not transfer between screens.
    So they will all work, but each on their own screen. I'd have to use both audio outputs to hear them. Still a pretty useful feature - I may be able to eliminate some of my annunciator lights with this capability.

If you connect both audio lines you will get double warnings, they could also talk over each other.
    Rob Hickman

Thanks Rob - I'll plan on audio from the left display only, so I'll just use those switch inputs as well. Can the switch inputs tolerate battery voltage applied to them?

Can the switch inputs tolerate battery voltage applied to them?
    No they should be grounded to work, we provide the voltage.
    Rob Hickman

Hi Rob,

Related question: I have a similar setup, dual 3500's with AOA. My AOA probe is connected to the pilot-side EFIS (3500EF). But the microswitch for monitoring my flaps (RV-7A) is connected to Input-3 on the co-pilot EFIS (3500EE). Input-3 is labeled for Flaps, and shows flaps/no-flaps as it should. But the AOA does not seem to notice the change. The 'donut' in the AOA indicator does not change from black to green. Is there a way to get the AOA on the 3500EE to get the flap position from the 3500EF? (I have "Use flap position sensor" set to "No" since I have a microswitch not a pos-12). (Doesn't work with Yes or No).

Separate question: The AOA is displayed on the pilot-side EFIS, but on the co-pilot EFIS the option for diplaying it is greyed-out. The system shares engine data for display on either side, why not AOA data?

Thanks,
    Matt

1. Flap Switch; you need to have the AOA flap switch wired to the same screen as the AOA sensors or use the POS-12 flap angle sensor on the EM screen.

2. EFIS display on EM screen;
    a) Make sure that you are running the latest software from our web site.
    b) BACKUP the AOA file on your EFIS and RESTORE it on the EM in the ADMIN calibration menu

Call our support number if you need help doing this.
    Rob Hickman