Thread: AF3500 non-s Screen display issue

AF3500 non-s Screen display issue

I've been having a recurring screen display issue on my AFS3500EE which I thought I had fixed by properly re-seating a connector, but it has re-appeared the next day without any obvious reason.

The screen powers up white all over (either on main-buss or on back-up battery) and then slowly changes over time, usually with black vertical lines showing, then with a "tunnel-vision" effect where black grows towards the centre of the screen. Occasionally the screen will show fast-changing garbage as in the video available here https://www.dropbox.com/s/a808cy04u9...O0052.mp4?dl=0. The main CPU is working fine, as I still get audio warnings (low oil temp, etc). My feeling is that it's something tolerance-related in the display module that may be affected by cooler mornings here in the UK (about 5 deg C at moment). New BR1225 installed but no change. Buss and backup battery voltages appear fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Tim

Name:  IMAG0955.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  33.8 KB

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    I sent you an RMA for the screen.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

Thanks Shawn. Got it.
    I fully charged the backup battery cells individually and everything's been fine and reliable since so I think it is battery related.... Could it be that the AFS3500 charging circuit could suppress whatever the display module needs to operate under certain battery conditions?

I think i'll hold onto the RMA for a while and return it if the symptom reappears.

Shawn,

Recently my AF-3500s has been doing the same think as above. It is almost unusable at this time. Every once and a while it will operate normally. I have tried turning completely off and back on but to no avail. The unit is now 6 years old. I looked in the troubleshooting part of the operators manual but nothing.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
    Dan Roy
    Cell: 252-458-3309
    Email: cuzzroy@gmail.com

I have sent you an RMA for the screen.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems

Here is a video of what is going on with my unit.
    https://youtu.be/XELGbWUt1vs

Starting about 3 or 4 years ago, my AFS-4500 EF screen would occasionally be all shaky and blurry at startup. Usually, a sharp whack to the panel next to it would solve the problem. This has happened maybe half a dozen times in the last 3-4 years - not so annoying that I felt I needed to send it back, especially since it never happened in flight. Today I couldn't get it to clear at startup no matter what I did so I took the EFIS out and inspected it. One thing I have always noticed with this EFIS is that I can push the screen in maybe a quarter inch and nothing seems to be restraining it in and out. Is this normal? After reseating all of the ribbon and flex cable connectors, the problem seems to be fixed again. Anybody else seeing this kind of problem? Mine was built in 2010.
    Highest Regards,

Noah F
    RV-7A
    Rhode Island

I have sent you an RMA for the screen.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems