Quote Originally Posted by larco View Post
I have dual 4500s with a sorcerer and they work well together. If I remember correctly back some years ago the T/T products needed an update to marry the AFS system and I did that. I want to update to the 5000 series AFS and have been told that it will be a plug and play in that respect. I would email TT with your sorcerer software ID and ask if you need an update, Lucas will know. Additionally I have a switch that will let the EFIS or the 530 control the sorcerer and have done that with a 5600 as well. To clarify I do not believe a switch is recommended with the AFS A/P or necessary. Larry
Thanks for the reply Larry.
Interestingly, I had already been in touch with Lucas at TT asking him what EFIS would give the best integration with the Sorcerer. In particular I was asking about the certified Aspen Evolution 1000, and I expressed my surprise that the Aspen had fairly limited compatibility with the Sorcerer. His answer (in part) is as follows:

It is surprising, isn't it?

You are correct in your thinking. Non-certified EFIS units give much better integration with the autopilot. In answer to your questions, the Aspen doesn't output any steering information to the autopilot. They simply don't have any commands going out. The Sorcerer doesn't have a flight director output. (my emphasis)

Either the AFS 5000 series or Garmin G3X will give you the most integration.

I hope this helps!

So, he is suggesting the AFS 5000 for good compatibility (which is my perceived preference due to a bunch of factors). However, from what Lucas has said (and some other stuff that I have read elsewhere) I suspect that there is no ability for the Sorcerer to output Flight director commands - so although the AP will work, its not going to show FD commands on the AF 5000 (or any other EFIS for that matter?)

Is that your experience Larry re: Flight director command bars?

Regards
Dentoflyer