Thread: Newbie info request

Slobovia Outernational (MS71), 10 N of Jackson MS

Newbie info request

Hi,

1st post; I've recently acquired a new-to-me AF4500sEE (includes engine monitor, moving map, etc), AFS Pilot, ARINC module, Garmin 430 (old 24V, non-WAAS), and Garmin 327 transponder. The EFIS came without probes/sensors, and none of the equipment came with wiring harnesses.

I've been perusing the v7.4 user/installation guide, along with the autopilot manual and Garmin manuals, and have questions.

1st, do the wiring diagrams in the install manual show all connections needed to get the EFIS, autopilot, 430 (including both GPS & Nav/glideslope functions), and 327 fully functional and communicating? If not, is there anyone out there with similar equipment that would be willing to share their wiring diagram?

2nd, since the EFIS came without probes/sensors, I'd like to know whether I can use some/all of my existing engine sensors, OAT probes, etc. Is there a cross reference list from AFS sensor models to generic 'off-the-shelf' sensors?
    EDIT: Should have mentioned, the engine is *not* a Lyc, though the existing engine sensors appear to be the same as used by Van's, GRT, etc. Engine is a Mazda Renesis, so I'll need water temp/pressure in addition to typical Lyc sensors.

Thanks for the help,

Charlie
    Last edited by rv7charlie; 06-28-2015 at 09:40 AM. Reason: addtl info

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    The wiring diagrams will show you the connections relative to the Advanced Flight displays. Additional wiring will be required for the other devices. Normally their manuals show a nice hookup drawing for power, antenna, audio, etc.

We don't really have a generic cross reference for the sensors. Each sensor we support has been calibrated into the EFIS. CHT are Ungrounded Type J and EGT Ungrounded Type K. Other than that it's normally cheaper to replace then engineer.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com