Thread: Garmin GX60

Garmin GX60

I have been given the option to purchase a Apollo/Garmin GX60 GPS COM. I understand that Garmin no longer produce this model but still support it, my question is has any one used this GPS with a Advanced AF 3500 and will it drive the moving map soft ware, or would I be buying trouble.

I am using a GX60 with a 3400S. It is compatible and is a fine radio too.

Thanks for your feedback

I have flown an LNC4 for twelve years with a GX50 and found it to be entirely reliable. A few years ago however I had the opportunity to fly a Columbia for a while with a G430. I had not used a G430 before. After a few flights I was more familiar with the G430 than I had managed with the GX50 after about eight years. If you will use it as a VFR machine it will be entirely adequate and user friendly enough. If you intend flying IFR with it it will take a BIG learning effort to become familiar with all its features and its operating logic. Don't do it to yourself! spend the extra on a new Garmin!

Thanks bigbird, most of my flying will be VFR and maybe some night VFR.

gax60

SnowRA,
    I have had a GX60 for 8-9 years and the unit operating wise was fine. However, over the past few years the screen kept getting smaller. The outer pixels started going out. The display finally just quit. When I sent it back to Garmin/Salem, it became a political football and nobody can fix it... I'm just out of luck. Since then, after reading several blogs, there is a big problem with the unit with the display disappearing....sometimes it can be fixed, but most of the time you are just out of luck... The OEM manufacturer who made the screen, won't fix it. Garmin won't do anything about it either. So beware when buying a used GX60 because it will just go kaputz on you and there is very little you can do about it. If it were my company and have done it in my company, I would offer an upgrade to another unit with a large discount carrot just to keep the customer happy, but that seems to be a foreign concept to Garmin.