Thread: AOA Sensor location on RV9

AOA Sensor location on RV9

I am attempting to fit the AOA sensors in the wing of my RV9 which is already fitted with the Duckworth landing/taxi light system. The problem is that the 'Upper Wing Port with drain valve' assembly seems to clash (or come very close to clashing) with the landing light mounting plate. I have not yet drilled any of the mounting holes for the AOA sensor so all is not lost. Any advice would be welcome.

Jeremy, the AOA ports should be well aft of the Duckworks lights. I just installed them on my RV-7 and there is approximately 12" between the top of the light cutout and the upper pressure port. The AOA instructions for the RV-9 say the upper port should be 11" aft of the leading edge measured along the chord line. Your Duckworks light cutout should be about 18.75" (RV-7) forward of the leading edge skin break (at the spar).
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems
    Support@Advanced-Flight-Systems.com

Trevor, Thanks for your reply to my question re AOA upper sensor port location on RV9. Sorry to bother you again but the (potential) problem is not with the landing light cut-out in the leading edge but with the landing light mounting plate which is parallel to and forward of the main spar and very close to the upper AOA port at 11" back from the leading edge chord line. However, on looking at it more closely I think the Port/drain valve assembly should just about fit in behind the light mounting plate, especially as that assembly angles back slightly away from the light mounting plate. One more question, how accurate does the AOA port have to be, ie 11" precisely from leading edge or plus or minus a 32nd or so? Thanks for your efforts.

Jeremy, the port should be aft of the Duckworks mounting plate. I don't know the exact dimension, but there are many out there flying without issue, so I have to believe they won't interfere. 1/32" off from 11" is just fine. The dimension should be close but isn't TOO critical.
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems
    Support@Advanced-Flight-Systems.com