Thread: FreeFlight to 4500 wiring

FreeFlight to 4500 wiring

Does anyone have a wiring diagram to connect the Freeflight FDL-978-XVR to the 4500 and GTX327 transponder? Thanks.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by rwayne View Post
    Does anyone have a wiring diagram to connect the Freeflight FDL-978-XVR to the 4500 and GTX327 transponder? Thanks.
    Wayne
    Wayne:

I am working on this very project at the moment and do have a diagram for you. Let me do that tomorrow afternoon and I should post it then.

Doug Weiler
    RV-7, AFS 4500 and 3500

Wayne:

My system on my RV-7 consists of an AF-4500EF and an 3500EM (connected via an ethernet box). My avionics package consists of a Garmin audio panel, 430W, SL-40 and GTX-327. I bought the Freeflight FDL-978-XVR ADSB unit with the TC978 controller, GPS and WIFI units from Walt Aronow at EXP Aircraft Services. I mounted the FDL units behind the baggage wall on one of Van's ELT mounts. The TC978 will be on the instrument panel. I am still in the process of working on the project so it's not operational as of yet.

I have a wiring diagram (Xcel spreadsheet) that Walt helped me with (including input from Freeflight and Rob at AFS). If you only have a AFS 4500 unit, it appears the only difference will be running the #5 serial output (pin 42 of the FDL-978) to the serial port 3 RX (pin 5 on the 4500) - (assuming it is available for you to use). Send me a note at dcw@mnwing.org and I'll send it to you.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Also Freeflight, Walt at EXP, or Rob can help as well.

Doug Weiler
    Hudson, WI

That helps a lot! I'll email you. Thank you.
    Wayne

Hey guys... I just finished the installation of the Freeflight FDL-978 XVR in my RV-7. The interface is to my AFS4500EF and AFS3500EM. Test flew it yesterday and everything seems to work well. Traffic is displayed as it should be. There were snow showers in the area and I was not impressed with the ADSB Nexrad radar display. I still have XM weather hooked up and the XM radar was far superior. But this was a quick and dirty test so I need to fly more and continue the comparison. The ADSB data is wired to the serial 3 port of my AF3500EM (the 4500 and 3500 are linked with an ethernet box). I did notice that there was a noticeable lag when changing range displays on the 3500 as if the processor is struggling. When on the ground and not receiving ADSB data, that lag was gone. Is this "old" 3500 "pushing" itself in processing ADSB traffic and weather? Not a show stopper..... just curious. But generally I am happy thus far!

Doug Weiler

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    The older hardware will definitely have a harder time processing that much data compared to a AF-5000 series. What serial port did you choose for the Freeflight?
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn McGinnis View Post
    The older hardware will definitely have a harder time processing that much data compared to a AF-5000 series. What serial port did you choose for the Freeflight?
    I connected it to serial 3 of my 3500EM. I found later that my FreeFlight unit was set to receive the maximum number of traffic targets. In fact if I got about 10 miles from MSP, it locked up as it was tracking all of the airline traffic on the ground. I reset the FF to receive just 8 targets and the 3500 handles them just fine.