Thread: Ethernet connections

Ethernet connections

I have the Netgear ethernet splitter and looking at GTN650 pinouts it shows J1002 receiving Ethernet info. Is this used with the adahrs, 5600 Efis, VPx integration? If so can I use a standard Ethernet cable, cut one end and pin out from splitter to 650? What information are these inputs looking for or is this only for Garmin integration?
    Dave Ford
    RV10

Quote Originally Posted by rvdave View Post
    I have the Netgear ethernet splitter and looking at GTN650 pinouts it shows J1002 receiving Ethernet info. Is this used with the adahrs, 5600 Efis, VPx integration? If so can I use a standard Ethernet cable, cut one end and pin out from splitter to 650? What information are these inputs looking for or is this only for Garmin integration?
    Unfortunately, Garmin integration. It would be nice if Garmin didn't want to dominate the world through proprietary interfaces.

Also, make sure you have a current 650 install manual. There were multiple versions published that the pin out tables were correct, but the illustrations were wrong. Guess which ones I used?

The VPX port doesn't buy you anything either. It's just to program the VPX, there isn't any data passed via ethernet. It would have been nice if it did.

bob
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

Thanks Bob, I have a Dec 2012 Rev 4 manual for the 650, is that the same you have?
    Dave Ford
    RV10

Quote Originally Posted by rvdave View Post
    Thanks Bob, I have a Dec 2012 Rev 4 manual for the 650, is that the same you have?
    Email me your email address (click on my useride). Rev 4 is one of the bad ones. It's ok as long as you use the pin outs in the tables. One of the connector illustrations is backwards.

bob
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

DO NOT WIRE THE AFS ETHERNET TO ANY GARMIN DEVICE!!!

The EFIS Ethernet is only for AFS EFIS screens and XM Weather module.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

I'm assuming since I'm using the hub all screens and xm connect via standard cable so no need for crossover cables, correct?
    Dave Ford
    RV10

Correct, the hub should work with or without a crossover cable.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.