Thread: Identifying an intersection

Identifying an intersection

While flying along an airway I occasionally need to identify my location with a cross radial from another VOR.
    What would be the best method on my 4500 to ID this location.
    I am using an SL 30 and a Garmin 496 for navigation.
    In the 4500 manual there is the coment about using the monitoring feature in the SL30 to show a second
    vor. I dont see any information showing the second radial.
    Other aircraft I had in the past, always had 2 nav radios and 2 vor heads to display both radials which made intersection identification fairly easy.
    Is it common to use the magenta (GPS) nav information to ID an intersection?

Thanks

If you press the NAV button twice on the SL30 it should monitor the Standby Nav Freq on the EFIS with a second orange bearing needle.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

I am unable to get the standby frequency from my SL-30 to display the orange bearing needle on the 4500 HSI.

My SL-30 is NAV2 and I had the secondary frequency set to a different VOR than the primary and had it in "monitor" mode (double nav btn press).

Does it matter what the CDI and Bearing needle sources is set to under EFIS->Navigation for the orange bearing needle to appear? Does the CDI source have to be CRS/NAV2?

UPDATE: Just saw an older post that said the BRG should be set to BRG/NAV2 in my case. I will check again next flight.
    Last edited by schmoboy; 12-28-2014 at 08:47 PM.