Thread: Ads-b

Ads-b

Hi.

I have dual 4500's with 430W and Navworx ADS-B. Weather is fairly reliable, but traffic is very intermittent. James Marks at the flight standards office has been very helpful in running a compliance report. All categories passed. So, I am assuming that any TIS-B issues are on the FAA side, not on mine.

Can you please tell me what the TRFC, FIS-B, and OSHIP counters on the ABOUT page are doing? Is this a way to ensure my system is functioning and talking to the ground stations or other aircraft?

Thanks

The OSHIP counter counts when the ADS-B unit is talking to the EFIS.
    FIS-B counter is counting the weather packets from the ground station
    TRFC is the number of traffic targets the ADS-B unit is sending to the EFIS.

Make sure your EFIS is running 8.8.29 Software
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Thanks Rob. Interesting.

Summary:

1. Flight Standards Office in DC is able to verify that my system is working properly. No out of spec items. All signals well within spec.
    2. Flight Standards is able to show flight track information thus verifying that they are receiving information (alt, heading, location, speed)
    3. OSHIP on my EFIS shows connectivity to the ADS-B. Verify routinely during flight.
    4. FIS-B on EFIS is counting received packets. Verify on EFIS weather info received and shown.
    5. TRFC is showing counts during the flight, but no contacts shown.
    6. I do have the latest software loaded.

If TRFC is showing counts, and no EFIS contact display, does this mean that there is a setup/connection issue on my end? Or could the contact information be too far out of range of the map display? Or could this just show FAA ADS-B system connectivity, but indicates that the FAA is no transmitting target information? Thoughts?

What does the TRFC:XX on the map screen show? That is the number of targets that the map should be drawing. Are you zoomed too far out or in to see them?

If you put the NAVWORX is traffic simulation mode are you getting traffic targets on the MAP?

Have you ever seen traffic on the map?
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Hi. Thanks

1. I have not noted the TRFC:XX not the map. I have been using the "about" screen, which shows a steady count up. I will check this during next flight.
    2. Yes. In sim mode I see traffic on both EFIS and on the 430W.
    3. Yes, I have seen traffic on the map display before. It has been very hit or miss. Jim Morris from FSDO in DC sent me a ADS-B compliance report showing all specs in spec. He is also looking into the intermittent traffic situation.

Problem is that the FAA does not have any system in place (NOTAM) to tell us if the system is down. So, I am trying to find out if there is a way from my end to ensure / verify operability to convince FSDO that there is a problem on their end.