Thread: Software Bug Report

Software Bug Report

Let's say I want to go direct to KAPA. When I hit the "Direct To" button on my EM, I hit the knob-button to select the first letter, "K", then when I am rotating the knob to the LEFT to select "A" for the second letter in the airport identifier, I cannot go past the letter "R". It gets stuck at "R". Only if I rotate the knob to the RIGHT can I (eventually) get to "A". Sometime if I try to rotate to the LEFT when it gets stuck at "R" if I just keep rotating to the left for 10 or 15 seconds it will get "unstuck" and proceed past the letter "R". This is not a hardware problem, it seems to be a software problem that it gets stuck at the letter "R".

Does anybody else see this behavior?

It wouldn't be a big deal except when you are on a long flight and wish to look at weather at a number of stations, and the only way to do that (or at least the way I do it) is to select "direct to" the airport you want to check the weather at, and then hit the METARS button. When you want to check a bunch of airports' weather quickly you just can't do it.

I have a 4500 Advanced Deck EFIS, EM, ARINC box, and XM weather (don't think that matters).

Thanks
    Highest Regards,

Noah F
    RV-7A
    Rhode Island

Hmm...... I've never tried to do it that way before.

The way I do it, and I suspect you'll find it easier too, is just to move the cursor via the joystick over the selected airport on the map, then hit the metar button. It makes it pretty easy to quickly look at airports along your route of flight.

I have ADSB weather, but I don't think that would make a difference.
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

Hmm, I will have to try that. My experience has been that only nearby airports are shown on the map and very few distant airports are shown, (especially smaller distant airports that I'm interested ine), making this method limited in utility. Often I will use the nearest function, while changing map scale, to select various airports to check their METARS AND TAFS. But my experience has been that I still have to manually enter the identifiers for many distant airports to get their weather while airborne. This is important if there is a front or thunderstorms moving across your route, and you want to check its progress by looking at distant stations' observations.
    Highest Regards,

Noah F
    RV-7A
    Rhode Island

Going to OSH this year, I had no problems looking at airports 100-200 miles out. It was MVR most of the route and we were determining which route to take around Chicago. We could clearly see a front over Aurora, so we took the lake front route. The low ceilings didn't bother us around Chicago, since you have to be under 2k east of the Navy pier anyways. It clearly made decision making easier with both radar images and METARs. I haven't really tried looking up METARs further out, since the weather was changing so fast and I was near the front.
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

Ken is looking into it.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hickman View Post
    Ken is looking into it.
    So, what did Ken find?
    Highest Regards,

Noah F
    RV-7A
    Rhode Island

Quote Originally Posted by rleffler View Post
    The way I do it, and I suspect you'll find it easier too, is just to move the cursor via the joystick over the selected airport on the map, then hit the metar button. It makes it pretty easy to quickly look at airports along your route of flight.
    Can you explain this a bit more, Bob? I don't get a cursor that I can move with the joystick, so I'm not sure how you are doing this. What do you select to get a cursor that you can scroll around the map with? How do you check weather that are off the map, i.e. more than 300 miles away?
    Highest Regards,

Noah F
    RV-7A
    Rhode Island

This has been fixed in the latest software release:

http://www.advanced-flight-systems.c...-MV16-AV40.zip

Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.