Thread: Remote AHRS Failure

Remote AHRS Failure

Dual 4500s. PFD is EFIS only and MFD is EFIS/EM.

I'm in phase one flight testing. About 30 minutes or so into every flight I've had the PFD (EFIS only) bring up a "Remote AHRS Failure" message. The MFD (EFIS/EM) continues to function just fine with no messages, but it loses GPS because the 430W is connected to the PFD. After shutting down post-flight, if I fire back up the PFD, MFD, ethernet hub, and airinc things are back to normal.

Any suggestions for trouble-shooting? It feels like an ethernet issue because it seems like the PFD is losing all communications with the MFD. Maybe a bad ethernet hub which fixes itself on power cycle?

Try plugging the screens together without the hub
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Thanks Rob. I'll give that a test. Just realized that I should have also checked to see if the MFD lost XM WX, which would also be the case if the ethernet hub went dark. Will check that before connecting screens directly.

I was able to do some further troubleshooting on this yesterday.

When the two screens are hooked together directly without the hub everything is fine. When the screens are both hooked to the AF-HUB, the issue occurs and if I cycle power to the AF-HUB everything goes back to normal for another 30 minutes or so.

It seems like the AF-HUB is getting into some bad state after a period of time and a power cycle clears it.

Is there any way I can get an AF-HUB to swap out with the one I have to see if the issue goes away? I have the Contemporary Controls EIBA5-100T version of the AF-HUB if that matters.

Thanks!
    Last edited by schmoboy; 07-17-2014 at 10:39 AM.

This does not sound like the hub we sell, where did you purchase it?
    Rob Hickman

I got my avionics though Stein. It's labeled as an AF-HUB on the box, but that was a few years ago. My AFS Sales Order was #2593 from 08/9/2010. If it turns out that it came from Stein instead of you I'll give him a call.

We only started selling a hub a few months ago.
    Rob Hickman

I found it at Stein's. http://www.steinair.com/storedetail.cfm?productid=531 Got it from him with the package. Thanks Rob.
    Last edited by schmoboy; 07-18-2014 at 06:26 AM.

I had a problem with my hub also. The hub came from Stein and he still sells them. Everything worked well for three years. Then when I turned on the XM weather, the screens went bonkers. AFS suggested it might be the hab and since I replaced it everything works great. I guess every type of electronics dies eventually.