Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Approach Plates, charts and subscriptions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Approach Plates, charts and subscriptions

I haven't updates my charts in a while since it was so expensive but a recent press release from Dynon got me to look into it again.

It seems now at AFS, you can by the whole US (where as before it was regional areas) for $50 a cycle or a yearly subscription for $400, am I correct?

Here's what Dynon says for their updates...

"Support for US Approach/Departure Procedure charts (commonly called plates) and US airport diagrams was added to SkyView in version 7.0. We partnered with Seattle Avionics and got the lowest price in the industry at only $99 a year in the USA for all your Geo-referenced charts. That's airport diagrams, including over 5,000 FlightGuide diagrams, and all your approach plates, procedures, etc....."

http://dynonavionics.com/docs/SkyView_Charts.html

Now that Dynon and AFS have the same owners, can we get the same deal???
    John Kazickas
    Sands Point, NY
    Glasair Sportsman N9GZ

sounds like a good deal!
    Alan

So I'm curious.. How many of you out there are buying the database from AFS? Are you spending $400 a year? Didn't seem like people cared about the pricing issue so I'm thinking not. With the Ipad and Foreflight, I bet most are using that for their geo referenced charts.

How about it Rob? Any comment on the Dynon deal?
    John Kazickas
    Sands Point, NY
    Glasair Sportsman N9GZ

I primarily use a tablet for plates due to the significant cost difference. I probably update my AFS charts once a year when going on a long trip that might require IFR. I would pay $100 for an annual subscription to get the AFS charts.
    Highest Regards,

Noah F
    RV-7A
    Rhode Island

We are working on changing the AF-5000 units to use the Dynon Seattle Avionics Charts, the older AF-4500 will not be able to use the Dynon data.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Any idea why nav data for my 430W is available 10 days before the start of any new cycle but new AFS nav data is only available maybe 1 day before?
    Highest Regards,

Noah F
    RV-7A
    Rhode Island

There is a lot of processing that happens to the AFS data charts before we get them. They have to be geo-referenced (approach plates, etc..) and have to be formatted to go into the AFS systems. I think this is one of the benefits to switching to Seattle Avionics native format - it will remove a lot of time/overhead at AFS to get them ready for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hickman View Post
    We are working on changing the AF-5000 units to use the Dynon Seattle Avionics Charts, the older AF-4500 will not be able to use the Dynon data.
    Hey Rob, is there any update on the status of this? I sure would like to update my data, but waiting on the less expensive versions.

Robert Cutter

We currently have it working for the Sectionals, IFR Low, IFR High, and airport diagrams. We should have the approach plates working this week, with any luck we will have a beta software release ready early next week.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Are there instructions for loading them somewhere? Thanks!