Thread: How do I prevent AF-5600 from grabbing flight plan from Foreflight?

How do I prevent AF-5600 from grabbing flight plan from Foreflight?

Hello,

I just acquired an RV-10 with 2xAF-5600 and an Avidyne IFD540. As best as I can tell, the AF unit is set up as the host WiFi with the IFD unit as a client on it. I have connected my iPad running Foreflight to the same WiFi.

I am trying to transfer a flight plan from Foreflight to the IFD unit. It worked the first time I tried it but since then, whenever I try to upload the flight plan to the panel from Foreflight, the AF unit is asking if it should accept the flight plan.

The AF manual has this note on it: "Once you have your flight plan set up in ForeFlight on your iOS device (iPad or iPhone), you can send it to AF-5000 EFIS Flight Planning page and Moving Map. The EFIS CDI source (Flight Plan) must be set to Internal to accept a flight plan from ForeFlight."

On the AF unit that I believe has the WiFi dongle, the EFIS CDI source is set to GNAV1 (which is the IFD unit) so I am puzzled about why the AF unit is grabbing the flight plan. Any ideas on what I can do to prevent the AF unit from accepting the flight plan?

Thanks,

Vas

Connecting the ipad to the 5600 EFIS wifi will allow VFR flight plans to push to the EFIS internal flight plan, which is INTFP in the CDI sources. While the EFIS must be in INTFP to display a flight plan received from foreflight, you will still get the prompt even if you are in GNAV1. Accepting the flight plan will load the foreflight flightplan into INTFP and it will be there when you switch the CDI source over from GNAV1.

It is not the case that your Avidyne is connected as a client to the EFIS wifi network. There is no way to push a flightplan to the Avidyne by going through the EFIS wifi network. To push a flightplan to the Avidyne you need to connect your ipad to the Avidyne wifi, and turn the EFIS wifi off. The Avidyne can then accept VFR or IFR flightplans programmed in foreflight, and will in turn push those to the EFIS GNAV1 CDI display just as if they had been programmed directly on the Avidyne.

Thanks, Jonathan. I don't want to turn off the Wifi on the EFIS but I guess I could have the Avidyne broadcast it's own network and connect to that when I want to push a flight plan to the Avidyne from Foreflight. In a typical setup when an Avidyne is connected as a client to the EFIS WiFi, what information is being exchanged? I guess the really important question is that if I take the Avidyne off the EFIS WiFi, is there anything important that will be lost in the communication between the Avidyne and the EFIS. Thanks.

At this time there is no data shared over wifi between the Avidyne and the AF-5000 displays, you will lose nothing by severing this unnecessary connection. Over an RS-232 connection it is possible to send an Avidyne ADS-B "in" data which the Avidyne can then rebroadcast to the ipad, giving you weather and traffic in Foreflight. It is fine to leave the EFIS wifi on so long as you are conscious of which network your ipad is connecting to, and understand that the Avidyne will be the preferred option.

Thanks, Jonathan! That's very helpful.

I tried this recently on a shared wifi connection (i.e., IFD440 connected to the AF-5600's wifi as a client).

For whatever reason, the IFD440 picked up my Foreflight flight plan and created a saved route. The AF-5600 seemed to ignore it - this was fantastic, and I thought something changed in the most recent firmware. However, based on this discussion, maybe I just got lucky? I will try it again and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon View Post
    Over an RS-232 connection it is possible to send an Avidyne ADS-B "in" data which the Avidyne can then rebroadcast to the ipad, giving you weather and traffic in Foreflight.
    How is that set up? I don't believe I have any traffic or weather data sent to my IFD440. Am I missing a setting somewhere?

The very first time I tried it, the flight plan from FF went to the IFD as intended. Ever since then, I have not been able to replicate it - the AF-5600 grabs it. I tried restarting Foreflight, changing a few other settings but the result has been the same. I can't believe that it's random so there must be some setting that must have changed.

Since I don't really need traffic or wx on my IFD, I will probably do what Jonathan suggested and have the IFD on its own Wifi network.