Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serial port combined functions, or port expander

Serial port combined functions, or port expander

Would it be possible to add a configuration to the serial port list, whereby a port could be used to connect both a GPS such as the AFS GPS, on the input pin, and a transponder on the output pin? Similar to the TRFC/ICARUS option, but GPS/ICARUS instead.

I currently have configured:
    1 - VP-X Pro
    2 - Icarus to GTX327
    3 - CO Guardian 455
    4 - AFS GPS

...since the GPS is an input only, and the Icarus encoder is an output only, it would make sense to be able to combine them on a single port -- that would let me have a spare serial port to buy the AFS autopilot or Navworx ADS-B. I would actually like to add both, and I could do so by combining as described, and disconnecting the CO detector for the time being.

Long term when I can afford it, a second screen is the answer for the additional ports, but something that would come in handy would be some sort of serial port expander -- a headless box that plugs into the AFS Ethernet network and offers up a DB connector with 4 additional serial ports.

--
    Joshua Wyatt
    RV-9A @ KRGK
    Inspection & First Flight Pending
    Last edited by jwyatt; 07-30-2012 at 10:08 PM.

We just added an Aviation/ICARUS format so a NMEA/ICARUS should be easy.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Thanks Rob, I appreciate it! I'll keep an eye on upcoming releases.
    --
    Joshua Wyatt
    RV-9A N627DW @ KRST - Flying
    4500sEE + 4500sMFD | Stratux Dual-Band, GTN650Xi

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hickman View Post
    We just added an Aviation/ICARUS format so a NMEA/ICARUS should be easy.
    It is already in the latest software release.
    Rob Hickman

I got to fooling with this at the hangar tonight, and either it's not working as expected, or I've done something wrong. For reference, my config is:
    Serial 1 - VP-X Pro (type VPX)
    Serial 2 - Icarus to GTX327 (type TRFC/ICARUS)
    Serial 3 - CO Guardian 455 (type CO GUARDIAN)
    Serial 4 - AFS GPS, Nmea @ 9600baud (type AFS GPS)

Before committing to rewiring to combine the Nmea and Icarus, I wanted to confirm it would work with my equipment.

1) When I change Serial 2 to type NMEA/ICARUS, and my transponder (GTX327) stops displaying the pressure altitude, which would seem to indicate that it's not getting the Icarus signal.

2) When I change Serial 4 to NMEA/ICARUS, the EFIS displays "No GPS", so the NMEA position isn't being received.

Is there something about the combined port functions that would require the wiring to be changed before the port will function in either direction? I'd expect that if I have only half the port hooked up (ie, only the Icarus output or the Nmea input, as in the above scenarios), that the function that is wired would work, without the other half.

Thanks!
    --
    Joshua Wyatt
    RV-9A N627DW @ KRST - Flying
    4500sEE + 4500sMFD | Stratux Dual-Band, GTN650Xi

I will get Ken to double check it, he will be back from vacation next Monday.
    Rob Hickman

How about adding AVTN/Garmin AT for the 480? It would be great if I could get that extra serial port back to use for the VP-X

Quote Originally Posted by brianjohnson View Post
    How about adding AVTN/Garmin AT for the 480? It would be great if I could get that extra serial port back to use for the VP-X
    Aviation is 9600 Baud and Garmin AT is 1200
    Rob Hickman

but wouldn't it be possible for the EFIS to send in one format/rate and receive in another? The send/receive would be going to two separate serial channels on the 480. You'd basically be treating one serial line from the EFIS as if it were a single tx-only and a single rx-only.

Quote Originally Posted by brianjohnson View Post
    but wouldn't it be possible for the EFIS to send in one format/rate and receive in another? The send/receive would be going to two separate serial channels on the 480. You'd basically be treating one serial line from the EFIS as if it were a single tx-only and a single rx-only.
    A serial port only has a single baud rate,
    Rob Hickman