Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Navworx shuts down

Navworx shuts down

Just got word Navworx is shutting down. I guess they couldn't make it work with all the problems they had with the FAA. Here's what the Dallas Avionics web site say as well as Navworx.

https://www.dallasavionics.com/cgi-bin/navworx.cgi

http://www.navworx.com

Looking for a replacement for my Navworx that will work with my AFS-5600. What are my choices?
    John Kazickas
    Sands Point, NY
    Glasair Sportsman N9GZ

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    The ideal solution would be using our transponder and ADS-B receiver:
    AF-5000 (SkyView or HDX) with SV-XPNDR-261, SV-ADSB-472, and SV-GPS-2020 (if you don't have a GPS Navigator)

A comparable product to the Navworx would be:
    uAvionics echoUAT (Needs a certified GPS or Navigator)

Freeflight RANGR Lite FDL-978-XVRL

Freeflight RANGR FDL-978-XVR (Needs a GPS Navigator)
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn McGinnis View Post
    AF-5000 (SkyView or HDX) with SV-XPNDR-261, SV-ADSB-472, and SV-GPS-2020 (if you don't have a GPS Navigator)

It would be a great marketing coup for Dynon/AFS to put together a couple bundles and offer them at a great price to Navworx users.

Bundle #1: SV-ADSB-472 and SV-XPNDR-261

Bundle #2: SV-ADSB-472, SV-XPNDR-261, and SV-GPS-2020

Or perhaps trade in your Navworx ADS600-B or ADS600-EXP to get a free SV-ADSB-472 with the purchase of a SV-XPNDR-261?

Imagine the good will that would create for Dynon/AFS customers and within the industry.
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

Our largest market of Navworx users are actually using 3/400s displays. Though once the team at Dynon get the SV-ADSB-472 shipping again the marketing team might consider something like this.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems

Our largest market of Navworx users are actually using 3/400s displays. Though once the team at Dynon get the SV-ADSB-472 shipping again the marketing team might consider something like this.
    When will the sv-adsb-472 be available?

Maybe it would the impetus to get folks to upgrade to 5000s?
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying

Bummed about NavWorx. That was going to be my solution.

Currently have a 4500. Bundling an upgrade to 5000 w/ sv-adsb-472 might make marketing sense.

In reality, I only really need an in solution that will display on the 4500. I have 1090 ES out already.
    Last edited by anymouse; 10-25-2017 at 04:51 AM.

Be sure you check this AOPA post for Navworx AMOC when used with GTN / GNC / GNS GPS Navigators

https://www.aopa.org/go-fly/aircraft...oc-information
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems

Be sure you check this AOPA post for Navworx AMOC when used with GTN / GNC / GNS GPS Navigators

https://www.aopa.org/go-fly/aircraft...oc-information
    I'm happy to assist in answering AMOC questions. I was the author of two of the three AMOCs and am still investigating some other options with FAA now that Bill has shuttered his business.
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying

Shawn,
    I have dual 5600’s, a GTN 750 with remote GTX 32 and a Navworx ADSB600B. Based on your comment above, it seems that your 261/472 solution replacing my 32/600B could work well when the 472 becomes available again. I spoke with Rob a few months ago about that same plan and I’ve been patiently waiting for the 472 to become available again. In the meantime, I’ve come up with another solution that might be even better (and I won’t have to continue to wait for the 472) but I’d appreciate your help in determining if it will work.

My understanding is that the 472 is essentially the same as a uAvionix ECHO (presumably without the 978 transmitter, nor txpdr sniffer). My thought is that the sniffer in the ECHO is a non-starter as one will be much better off with a hardwired connection to the txpdr, particularly in a non-radar environment. But the ECHO (assuming the relevant squawk code, pressure altitude, etc is hard wired from the txpdr) has the advantage of adding a second transmitter on the 978 frequency to supplement the 1090 transmission from the 261. This will be particularly useful in a non-radar environment where many planes carry 978 receivers if not transmitters, thereby allowing them to see the ECHO’s transmissions.

So, my solution involves replacing my GTX32 with the Dynon 261, thereby getting 1090ES OUT using the GTN750 for position source. Then feed squawk info from the 261 to the ECHO (replacing the 600B) thereby getting 978 UAT OUT and feeding both 978 & 1090 IN to the 5600’s. GPS position source for the ECHO could also be obtained from the GTN750 provided the 261 is able to transmit the squawk info at 115.2K baud, otherwise I will have to install the uAvionix SkyFyx (transmitting at 115.2K baud) so that at least one of the two ECHO com ports can provide the 5600’s with traffic and weather at 115.2k baud, since the GTN’s transmission speed is limited to 9.6K. Obviously, I will also need to hook up the suppression pins to prevent interference, but the FAA has made it clear that transmissions on both frequencies from a single aircraft is okay provided they are both transmitting the same identification.

So, I have three questions for you:
    1) is this a viable solution?
    2) will the 261 transmit the required info to the ECHO so it can transmit a 2020 compliant signal providing me with dual band out?
    3) will the transmission (in #2 above) be at 115.2 k baud, or do I need the SkyFyx?

Thanks,
    Steve
    Last edited by sbrault; 02-19-2018 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sbrault View Post
    Shawn,
    I have dual 5600’s, a GTN 750 with remote GTX 32 and a Navworx ADSB600B. Based on your comment above, it seems that your 261/472 solution replacing my 32/600B could work well when the 472 becomes available again. I spoke with Rob a few months ago about that same plan and I’ve been patiently waiting for the 472 to become available again. In the meantime, I’ve come up with another solution that might be even better (and I won’t have to continue to wait for the 472) but I’d appreciate your help in determining if it will work.

My understanding is that the 472 is essentially the same as a uAvionix ECHO (presumably without the 978 transmitter, nor txpdr sniffer). My thought is that the sniffer in the ECHO is a non-starter as one will be much better off with a hardwired connection to the txpdr, particularly in a non-radar environment. But the ECHO (assuming the relevant squawk code, pressure altitude, etc is hard wired from the txpdr) has the advantage of adding a second transmitter on the 978 frequency to supplement the 1090 transmission from the 261. This will be particularly useful in a non-radar environment where many planes carry 978 receivers if not transmitters, thereby allowing them to see the ECHO’s transmissions.

So, my solution involves replacing my GTX32 with the Dynon 261, thereby getting 1090ES OUT using the GTN750 for position source. Then feed squawk info from the 261 to the ECHO (replacing the 600B) thereby getting 978 UAT OUT and feeding both 978 & 1090 IN to the 5600’s. GPS position source for the ECHO could also be obtained from the GTN750 provided the 261 is able to transmit the squawk info at 115.2K baud, otherwise I will have to install the uAvionix SkyFyx (transmitting at 115.2K baud) so that at least one of the two ECHO com ports can provide the 5600’s with traffic and weather at 115.2k baud, since the GTN’s transmission speed is limited to 9.6K. Obviously, I will also need to hook up the suppression pins to prevent interference, but the FAA has made it clear that transmissions on both frequencies from a single aircraft is okay provided they are both transmitting the same identification.

So, I have three questions for you:
    1) is this a viable solution?
    2) will the 261 transmit the required info to the ECHO so it can transmit a 2020 compliant signal providing me with dual band out?
    3) will the transmission (in #2 above) be at 115.2 k baud, or do I need the SkyFyx?

Thanks,
    Steve
    Steve,

As we discussed offline this weekend, the 261 is a good choice and will make you totally ADSB 2020 compliant. All you need then is a receiver. I would be just a little more patient in waiting for the 472. But in the mean time, you could use a Stratux box, which works just fine with the AFS screens. The 472 is a little more elegant of a solution that the Stratux.

bob
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying