PDA

View Full Version : Why not make updates for the manuals on a page-by-page basis?

ao.frog
10-21-2013, 01:19 PM
I'm about to print out a copy of the manual. (A paper-copy of the latest version of the manual is required here in Norway)

Since it's well above 100 pages, it's quite a printing job. I'm wondering if you guys at AFS have considered to make manual changes on a page-by-page basis? So when changes come out, you write in the foreword which pages is new and then we can just print out the new pages and insert them in the manual? That way we don't have to print out well above 100 pages to get just a few new pages?

To make room for new pages, you could have several pages in each section be "intentionally left blank" so they could be replaced by new stuff if needed in updates.

That would save ALOT of ink and paper...

Rob Hickman
10-22-2013, 08:48 AM
Time to get an IPad.....

When we update the manual it usually ends up pushing a lot of the pages to another page. I can't even imagine the amount of work it would take to figure out what pages were changed. Back in the dark ages when I had to update my Jeppesen charts and Flight Guide books page by page it was a huge amount of work.

We all must face the fact that printed documentation has gone the way of the Dinosaurs and news papers.

I keep all the documentation and manuals for my airplane in my IPad, once you did it you would never go back to printed manuals. The following are just some of the benefits:

1. You always have all the manuals you need.
2. You can quickly search for things in the manual.
3. You can zoom in on diagrams to read the detail.
4. It saves a lot of ink and paper.
5. Easy to update.

ao.frog
10-25-2013, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the reply Rob.

Unfortunately, the Norwegian LT (equialent to EAA) has decided that every plane shall have a printed copy of the POH onboard.
The POH must be updated and current at all times.

Ofcourse I hope the rules will change soon, so an electronic copy is allowed, but for now I have no choice other than printing out a new copy of the AFS manual, every time a new one is out.

Regards Alf Olav

WillHolt
01-12-2015, 09:57 PM
I'm not aware of any problems as yet (still early days) but can you confirm that it's OK to mount the magnetometer with stainless or ali hardware as these are non-magnetic?

Rob Hickman
01-20-2015, 10:35 AM
Some Stainless is magnetic