PDA

View Full Version : ADS-B Weather??

anymouse
04-29-2010, 06:43 PM
Hi Rob,

I'm getting a 4500 installed as I type (just waiting on the display right now). I'd eventually like to hook up the Navworx ADS600-B, but I've been holding off until you guys get the weather display figured out. The last thing that you mentioned on the old forum was a Spring time frame. Any updates on that?

Also, I understand that the traffic info from Navworks displays just fine. Did I get that right?

Later!!

Andy

Trevor Conroy
04-30-2010, 07:11 PM
We are working on completing the weather interface for the NavWorx ADS-B box. With other software updates and improvements taking priority, it will probably be more like late summer before ADS-B weather is working. From what we understand, it won't be until Fall when the whole country has ADS-B coverage.

anymouse
05-07-2010, 03:39 AM
We are working on completing the weather interface for the NavWorx ADS-B box. With other software updates and improvements taking priority, it will probably be more like late summer before ADS-B weather is working. From what we understand, it won't be until Fall when the whole country has ADS-B coverage.

Thanks for the reply Trevor, and sorry it took so long to get back. I was traveling to work (takes two days!!) and I let the thought slip for a few days.

It would be nice if the whole country had ADS-B by the fall, but I suspect that it'll be a few years beyond that. I look forward to seeing the final product!

Oh, and I found out that my display shipped last week. Hopefully the shop has it by now and it's getting install. :D

NoahF
05-12-2010, 10:16 AM
Hi Rob,
Also, I understand that the traffic info from Navworks displays just fine. Did I get that right?
Andy

Does the display provide any warning if there is traffic converging? Or are you relying on the pilot noticing (scanning) the display periodically? I've never seen how traffic is actually presented or annunciated - aural warnings???

I am also planning a Navworx installation and waiting for the weather to be integrated!

Trevor Conroy
05-12-2010, 10:29 AM
At this time we do not provide any audible traffic annunciation

tomhanaway
07-25-2010, 04:44 AM
Any updates on this?

1. Assuming a serial input from the Navworx unit to the efis is used, what setting should be used on the EFIS setup page? Addition of this wiring to the AFS schematic pages would be nice to show that it has been implemented.
2. Is traffic currently working?
3. Still planning on weather by late summer?

This is last bit of wiring I have to set up and it would sure help me feel "warmer and fuzzier" about buying the Navworx system (which has been purchased and installed) rather than a GTX330.

Thanks,
Tom Hanaway
RV-10
Boynton Beach, FL

Trevor Conroy
07-25-2010, 08:40 PM
Hi Tom. The weather feature has not yet been added so we don't have a serial function setup yet for WX. Based on what has been said recently from AOPA, who knows when the FAA is going to get ADS-B figured out. At this point, I really don't know when it will happen.

tomhanaway
07-26-2010, 03:06 AM
Trevor,
Thanks for the reply.
I understand that weather may still be up in the air but Navworx does currently supply traffic. Can you confirm that the AFS units dsplay traffic from Navworx ads-b units. If so, I assume the screen input configuration for a serial port is the same as for the GTX 330?

Thanks,
Tom Hanaway

Trevor Conroy
07-26-2010, 01:19 PM
Hi Tom,

The traffic from the NAVWORX box does indeed work at this time. Setup your serial port for Garmin Traffic format and it will work.

MBehnke
07-29-2010, 07:28 AM
Hi Tom. The weather feature has not yet been added so we don't have a serial function setup yet for WX. Based on what has been said recently from AOPA, who knows when the FAA is going to get ADS-B figured out. At this point, I really don't know when it will happen.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "when the FAA is going to get ADS-B figured out". Based on the info at their contractor's website (http://www.itt.com/ADS-B/budget.html) ADS-B should be available across a pretty good portion of the country in a couple of months:

"In September 2010, ITT will complete deployment of broadcast and surveillance services and deployment of surveillance services for 19 en route service volumes (Jacksonville, Boston, Juneau, South Alaska, Anchorage-Fairbanks, McGrath, Yukon, Nome, Kotzebue-Northern Alaska, Albuquerque, Seattle, Cleveland, New York, Atlanta, Washington, Los Angeles, Chicago, Oakland and Minneapolis)."

I think there's going to be a lot of people looking for the weather from the Navworx box - me included. If you're not planning on working on it for some time I need to find another solution.

Trevor Conroy
07-30-2010, 07:17 AM
NAVWORX just announced at Oshkosh that their in/out box was FCC and FAA approved. If that is the case, weather will indeed be working and you will receive it so long as your are transmitting your position. Adding weather capability from the NAVWORX box is definitely on our list, but I don't have a timeline as to when it will be working.

rwayne
08-02-2010, 05:39 AM
Any idea of how many wires will likely be needed to connect the Navworx box to the AFS EFIS or could it be ethernet? I'm trying to plan ahead and either run a bundle to the rear (navworx in back) or coax(s) to rear (navworx in front). Thanks.

orchidman
08-02-2010, 06:51 AM
Adding weather capability from the NAVWORX box is definitely on our list, but I don't have a timeline as to when it will be working.
This needs to be bumped way up the list. This is very important to me and would be surprised if this is not the case with most AFS users. With most of the US 'lit' up this fall it would be a great benifit to have the WX for this winters flights.

anymouse
08-02-2010, 07:23 AM
+1

I'm obviously interested since I started this thread. It could come in handy during thunderstorm season as well.

Trevor Conroy
08-02-2010, 09:15 AM
It should just take 3 wires. Serial RX/TX/Ground.

MBehnke
08-22-2010, 09:10 AM
It should just take 3 wires. Serial RX/TX/Ground.

I'm installing my Navworx box now and building the wire harness. As Trevor said, you'll need the three wires to one of the serial ports for the traffic and weather. If your EFIS is also serving as your altitude encoder you'll also need two additional wires (Serial TX/Ground) tapped into serial port #2 that's outputing altitude info to your transponder.

If you contact Bill at Navworx he can email you the user/install manual that has the wiring diagrams. Here's a couple of things I noticed.

1. The Navworx diagram only shows two wires to the AFS for the traffic (RX/Ground). but we'll need a third wire for TX for when AFS updates their software to include the weather. I'm assuming both weather and traffic will use the same serial port on the AFS, but the Navworx diagram doesn't show what pin the third wire goes to on that end. I'm going to email Bill to find out what pin to go to for the third wire and will post it here when I hear back.

2. The Navworx diagram shows the wires for the traffic going to AFS serial port #2, but footnotes you can use any of the serial ports. As #2 is the only one we can use for altitude encoding, you need to use a different serial port for traffic and weather.

3. The Navworx manual shows all the serial lines using shielded wires although I'm not sure why it's needed for these serial connections.

Mike

kentb
08-23-2010, 01:04 PM
I just wired my navworx yesterday. ADS-B behind the baggage compartment.
Here is the wiring that I used, but haven't tested yet.

ADS-B pin
7 AFS ser #2 TX pin 13
6 AFS ser GND pin 2
25 AFS ser #2 RX pin 25
4 PC RX DB9 pin 3
22 PC TX DB9 pin 2
3 PC GND DB9 pin 5
18,19 3 AMP fused power
36,37 Avionics GND
14 Fault out

The last one is if you want to hook up a light for status.
I used a single shielded cable with 10 wires in it. I also run a RG400 coax cable from my GPS antenna under the cowl. The UAT antenna is mounted at the aft end of the same compartment. NavWorx ships the unit with two coax cable, but the cable is not long enough to reach all the way that I wanted to go, so I am attaching my own connectors to the longer cable that I ran a couple months ago.

Kent

MBehnke
08-25-2010, 05:16 AM
Heard back from Bill at Navworx on pre-wiring for weather - here's the info:

Today (traffic only) you connect AFS (any serial port) up to the dedicated TIS port (pin 25 TX, pin 6 ground) on the Navworx end. I'd recommend including an extra wire in your run for the weather later.

Once weather is available you swap the pins to the Navworx RS232 port for the combined weather/traffic interface (pin 5 TX, pin 24 RX, pin 23 ground).

You'll also need to change the configuration of the Navworx box using their maintenance port connector to your computer.

The display command for TIS (weather only) is:
SET PROTOCOL TISA

The display command for RS232 (weather and traffic) is:
SET PROTOCOL TA
MAP TA RS232
SET BAUD RS232 115200

Other Navworx connections:
You need to connect the Navworx (pin 7 RX, pin 6 ground) to your altitude encoder - likely AFS serial port #2 for most of us. There's also the maintenance port with a DB-9 at the end to connect to your computer for updating the configuration, plus a couple power and ground connections. And finally there's a GPS and a UAT antenna that has coax runs to the Navwork transceiver.

Mike

anymouse
10-10-2010, 03:19 AM
NAVWORX just announced at Oshkosh that their in/out box was FCC and FAA approved. If that is the case, weather will indeed be working and you will receive it so long as your are transmitting your position. Adding weather capability from the NAVWORX box is definitely on our list, but I don't have a timeline as to when it will be working.

Time for my quarterly bump of this thread.

Now that the FAA has announced that most of the ADS-B network should be installed by 2013, has any priority been assigned to getting weather capability from NAVWORX?

Trevor Conroy
10-10-2010, 08:20 AM
Yes we have moved it to the top of our list. One of our software engineers is working on traffic right now and will soon move on to weather. We have traffic working through the display port of the ADS600(-B) and through the TIS port. Weather is soon to follow.

kbehrent
10-18-2010, 07:53 PM
Just want to double check:

If wiring for both TIS/WX, we switch pin 25 TX for pin 5 TX on Navworx?

I'm going to use AFS serial #3 TX/RX/GND for the TIS/WX and serial #2 TX for encoder. Since AFS uses pin 21 for serial #2 & 3 gnd, is it okay to wire both pin 6 & pin 23 on the Navworx to AFS serial 2&3 gnd pin 21?

Current plan:
ADS-B
pin 5 TX --> AFS pin 5 (serial #3 RX) incoming traffic/WX
pin 6,23 GND --> AFS pin 21 (serial #2 & #3 gnd)
pin 7 RX --> AFS pin 13 (serial #2 TX - Encoder)
pin 24 RX --> AFS pin 4 (serial #3 TX) WX request from AFS????

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin

kentb
10-19-2010, 09:32 AM
Just want to double check:

If wiring for both TIS/WX, we switch pin 25 TX for pin 5 TX on Navworx?

I'm going to use AFS serial #3 TX/RX/GND for the TIS/WX and serial #2 TX for encoder. Since AFS uses pin 21 for serial #2 & 3 gnd, is it okay to wire both pin 6 & pin 23 on the Navworx to AFS serial 2&3 gnd pin 21?

Current plan:
ADS-B
pin 5 TX --> AFS pin 5 (serial #3 RX) incoming traffic/WX
pin 6,23 GND --> AFS pin 21 (serial #2 & #3 gnd)
pin 7 RX --> AFS pin 13 (serial #2 TX - Encoder)
pin 24 RX --> AFS pin 4 (serial #3 TX) WX request from AFS????

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin

Hi Kevin. I now have the traffic working. Well maybe I should say that AFS has it working.
I had to make some changes to my wiring. AFS is not accepting the Display output from NavWorx instead of the TISA. That means that I added a new wire from pin 5 to pin 5 as in your plan. I also hooked up the TISA output from NavWorx to my 496. This allowed me to watch both 496 and 3500 to check display accuracy on the AFS unit. Rob just gave me a new beta version of the software that should fix the last of the issues (missing vector lines).
You can combine ground lines from AFS to NavWorx without problem.

At some point I will want to hook the AFS serial out to the Display in on the NavWorx as this will allow the EFIS to control function on the ADS-B. This most likely won't happen for a year or two, as FAA needs to get very thing in order.

It is very cool, the TISA only goes up to 7 mile and 7 targets (I think). With TISB (the Display port) I have counted 11 targets within 20 miles of me. Still doing more testing.

Kent

Trevor Conroy
10-19-2010, 09:50 AM
Hi Kevin,

The best method would be to utilize the Display Port on the ADS600-B as we now support it. It gives you more targets than the TIS-A output and also has the FIS-B weather data (currently working on). Looks like your wiring matches our suggestion.

ADS600-B Pin AFS Pin Function
7 13 Alt. Encoder out to ADS600-B
6 21 Serial Ground

24 4 Serial RX on ADS600-B
5 5 Serial TX on ADS600-B
23 21 Serial Ground

Trevor Conroy
10-19-2010, 09:54 AM
Kent is our resident beta-tester/guinea pig. His work with us on getting ADS-B traffic working correctly has been much appreciated for the benefit of everyone else out there with the ADS600-B!

kbehrent
10-19-2010, 10:42 AM
Trevor, Kent - Thanks for continued work and support on this!

Kent - What UAT antenna did you end up using? I currently have dipole ant for my 330 located behind the baggage compartment on my 9A. I was hoping on replacing that ant for a transponder/dme dipole type ant available from spruce and relocate the transponder dipole upfront. I really want to use a dipole for the UAT instead of a blade due to some installation issues specific to my 9A. Otherwise, I would need to locate the blade toward the tail.

Kent is our resident beta-tester/guinea pig. His work with us on getting ADS-B traffic working correctly has been much appreciated for the benefit of everyone else out there with the ADS600-B!

kentb
10-20-2010, 10:53 AM
Trevor, Kent - Thanks for continued work and support on this!

Kent - What UAT antenna did you end up using? I currently have dipole ant for my 330 located behind the baggage compartment on my 9A. I was hoping on replacing that ant for a transponder/dme dipole type ant available from spruce and relocate the transponder dipole upfront. I really want to use a dipole for the UAT instead of a blade due to some installation issues specific to my 9A. Otherwise, I would need to locate the blade toward the tail.

Here is my installation.

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/6806/adsbinstall.jpg (http://img267.imageshack.us/i/adsbinstall.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

I ordered the antenna from Bill, so as to make sure that I was getting the correct one. I think that it was about $60. The location in the picture is about 2 ft from the ends of one of my comm antennas.
I ordered a GPS antenna off ebay for $12. I cut the 20 ft little coax off and added a firewall connector to it so that I could mount it under the cowl right next to the 430 antenna. Works nicely.

I wish the gray cable that I used had one more wire in it, as I think that I will need one more in the future. I think that down the road the EFIS will want to send control commands to the NavWorx to change settings.

Things like change the max range of targets could be nice.

Kent

kbehrent
10-20-2010, 08:36 PM
Kent,

Thanks for the pic and where you got the ant. I see you mounted yours on the floor, mine is on the side using Van's accessory mount. My xpndr ant is located just about where your ADS600-B is. My issue is I have a whelen "red" strobe tube (Beacon strobe) that is located on the other side of the center rib. My xpndr dipole doesn't block the view of the beacon strobe. I was hoping to relocate the xpndr ant upfront and use this location for the UAT ant. Unfortunately, the blade style ant the Bill sells would block the view of the beacon somewhat. The UAT has to be located no less than 5' from the xpndr ant, so that forces me to put it back closer to the tail. Just a minor nuisance, but enough to pull some hair:mad:

If I understand your wiring explanation, I think you will need to add another TX line from the AFS back to the ADS600-B.

Thanks for the info,
Kevin

orchidman
10-21-2010, 01:02 PM
Hi Kevin,

The best method would be to utilize the Display Port on the ADS600-B as we now support it. It gives you more targets than the TIS-A output and also has the FIS-B weather data (currently working on). Looks like your wiring matches our suggestion.

ADS600-B Pin AFS Pin Function
7 13 Alt. Encoder out to ADS600-B
6 21 Serial Ground

24 4 Serial RX on ADS600-B
5 5 Serial TX on ADS600-B
23 21 Serial Ground
Trevor,
I just printed out the new 7.1 Manual and on page 44 you document the pin-outs for the ADS600(B). Since we now are about to get WX going, what you are quoting here looks like it supersedes what is in the new manual. Should we update the new manual with this wiring chart?

Also, in the manual, it looks like your page formatting for even page numbers got messed up.

Trevor Conroy
10-21-2010, 01:11 PM
Hi Gary,

We didn't mention the AFS serial ports in the manual because any of the 4 can be used. In the new manual it shows the encoder output going to the NavWorx box along with the display port TX/RX. What I quoted about and whats in the manual should be the same.

We do know about the page number issues in the manual, thanks!

jkgoblue
11-04-2010, 09:19 AM
I have been contemplating this move and am excited about the prospects. I'm I to understand correctly that I will get the exact same weather displays on my 3500, ie, METAR's, TAF's NEXRAD, etc., that would with XM? And for free no less? Plus traffic! Is there any reason why I would want XM over ADS-B?

Thanks.

Trevor Conroy
11-04-2010, 09:32 AM
As long as you have an "s-CPU" unit (Serial number begins with 61xxx), the ADS-B box will work and will provide the weather features. Those features have not been developed yet, but they will include Nexrad, Metar's, TAF's, TFR's, winds, lighting...etc. The FIS service is indeed free from the government. When it is all up and running across the country and the software is finished to display the data on our EFIS, there will be no logical reason I can think of to go with XM...

NoahF
11-04-2010, 03:26 PM
I have been contemplating this move and am excited about the prospects. I'm I to understand correctly that I will get the exact same weather displays on my 3500, ie, METAR's, TAF's NEXRAD, etc., that would with XM? And for free no less? Plus traffic! Is there any reason why I would want XM over ADS-B?

Thanks.

I can think of a few.

First, since ADS-B comes from ground stations which are far apart, you generally will not get ADS-B on the ground or at low altitude - including pattern altitude. So you may not reliably receive traffic targets from ADS-B OUT during the most critical portion of flight, departure and arrival, where the biggest chance for a conflict exists. That is a BIG negative for me. Forget about being able to sit in your aircraft on the ramp and checking for TFRs or enroute weather on a cross country, too.

Second, traffic, when it is received from ADS-B, is simply displayed on the screen, with no aural warning, and (I believe), no arrow showing direction of flight. So unless you constantly have your eyes glued to that screen, you may miss closing traffic. Compare this to the output from a Mode S transponder like the GTX-330, which provides both aural warnings and visible tracks on the screen showing direction so you can tell at a glance whether a target presents a conflict to your aircraft.

Third, ADS-B is not free, the transceiver from Navworx is $2700 (and you need the transceiver, not the receiver to reliably get traffic near you), while an XM receiver can be had for around a quarter of that price. It will take around 5 or 6 years for you to break even paying the XM subscription, buying the ADS-B receiver.

And fourth, the weather product received from the government is purported to be less feature rich than what you can receive from private sources like XM.

Just some food for thought. This is why I'm not excited about being an early adopter on this one.

Trevor Conroy
11-04-2010, 03:56 PM
First, since ADS-B comes from ground stations which are far apart, you generally will not get ADS-B on the ground or at low altitude - including pattern altitude. So you may not reliably receive traffic targets from ADS-B OUT during the most critical portion of flight, departure and arrival, where the biggest chance for a conflict exists. That is a BIG negative for me. Forget about being able to sit in your aircraft on the ramp and checking for TFRs or enroute weather on a cross country, too.
This is mostly true. Here near Aurora, OR there is a ground station nearby, so we can get lots of traffic targets at airports 30 miles away while still on the ramp here. We have a GTX-330 in the RV-10 as well. Unless you are in the PDX or SEA area...you will not get TIS traffic. ADS-B covers a MUCH larger area (around here at least).

Second, traffic, when it is received from ADS-B, is simply displayed on the screen, with no aural warning, and (I believe), no arrow showing direction of flight. So unless you constantly have your eyes glued to that screen, you may miss closing traffic. Compare this to the output from a Mode S transponder like the GTX-330, which provides both aural warnings and visible tracks on the screen showing direction so you can tell at a glance whether a target presents a conflict to your aircraft.
Traffic through the display port on the ADS600-B does give target track, so you can see an arrow with the direction of the traffic. Eventually we will give audible warnings when a target gets within a certain distance of your aircraft (using the generally accepted TCAS standards).

It will take around 5 or 6 years for you to break even paying the XM subscription, buying the ADS-B receiver.
This is true, however since ADS-B will be a standard here eventually, it will eventually replace your transponder which means you only have to buy one box. I think the savings would really come there if you look at the price of a GTX-327 or -320A. Of course a lot can change in 5 years....

Definitely not a bad idea to hold out on ADS-B.....a lot will change over the next several years...however those with it are reporting excellent results and satisfaction to us.

dpansier
11-04-2010, 06:43 PM
RV-10 owner Tim Olson recently wrote an interesting report about ADS-B performance on a trip to the west coast.

http://www.myrv10.com/N104CD/Trips/California_2010/index.html

kentb
11-05-2010, 08:45 AM
A picture is work a thousand words so...
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/2338/adsblookgood.jpg (http://img201.imageshack.us/i/adsblookgood.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

I have been helping AFS with beta testing the ADS-B software.
The 496 is using TIS-A protocol and the 3500 is using TIS-B protocol.
Notice that the vector lines from the targets let you know which way the plane is going. Also that the TIS-A only show 2 targets while the TIS-B is showing 7. ADS-B will go out to 200 miles with targets, don't see that as being very useful, but going out more then 7 that TIS-A is limited to is very useful.
I also like the 3500 display as I can see the plane that is trying to approach me from behind.

I usually don't get any targets while I am still on the ground, but by the time I am a couple hundread feet I start picking up tragets. I also see targets that are landing at airports only a couple hundread feet before they touch down.
Kent

jkgoblue
11-05-2010, 09:30 AM
This is all very informative. Still, my first desire was getting weather right now and still trying to decide on XM or ADS-B. Since I only have a GTX 327, I'd have to add another box for traffic to get a comparable system. But for weather only, XM seems like a logical choice. (but where would we be without those early adopters?)

I'd be interested to see weather pictures via ADS-B on the 3500 as soon as AFS has the software updated.

Either way, I'm having my 3500 updated to "s" next month. Are people with XM happy with their set up?

kbehrent
11-08-2010, 12:21 PM
This is all very informative. Still, my first desire was getting weather right now and still trying to decide on XM or ADS-B. Since I only have a GTX 327, I'd have to add another box for traffic to get a comparable system. But for weather only, XM seems like a logical choice. (but where would we be without those early adopters?).........

If you consider having wx in the cockpit an essential tool that you can't fly without and you must have it now, than yes, xm is probably your only bet. Unfortunately, every dime you spend towards xm now is wasted money and you will be paying subscription monthly charges as well. As more people leave xm, expect your subscription costs to rise. XM hasn't done well financially and I wouldn't be surprised if they drop wx support as I doubt they receive enough in subscription charges to be cost beneficial to them. Just my opinion.

You might ask AFS when they expect to release support for weather. You might find that it will be available in part or whole about the time you send your 3500 in for update to the "s" chip.

In regards to investing in something new, Bill at NavWorx's assured me that any software changes are free and in case of a unforeseen change it the specs requiring hardware changes, we would receive full credit of our current unit towards the new unit. That pretty well protects your investment. Their the first to receive FAA certification so at least the FAA agrees that they meet the specs and they also used NavWorx's unit in their own testing of ADS-B system.

anymouse
12-18-2010, 09:58 AM
Trevor,

It hasn't been quite a full quarter yet, but I'm curious how the progress is going. Any estimates when we might see compatibility being pushed out to the masses??

Trevor Conroy
12-20-2010, 09:11 AM
We have traffic working now and are working on getting weather. We are pretty close to having a software release with at least METAR's, TAF's, TFR's, and local Nexrad radar. I suspect it will be released before the end of January.

anymouse
01-12-2011, 12:27 AM
We have traffic working now and are working on getting weather. We are pretty close to having a software release with at least METAR's, TAF's, TFR's, and local Nexrad radar. I suspect it will be released before the end of January.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e367/gatsby6306/DirtDOG.gif

jkgoblue
02-02-2011, 08:20 PM
How's that weather development going? Any update?

Trevor Conroy
02-03-2011, 09:04 AM
Hi John, it is coming along. We still have a few more things to work on. We hope to have ADS-B weather enabled in a software release soon.

AltonD
02-04-2011, 11:47 AM
OK, I am thinking I do not have any available RS232 channels. I have a SL30, encoder out, Garmin 430W, and Arinc429 converter for the AFS autopilot. How can I use the Navworx ADS-B receiver?
I know Channel 2 has an input available. (only outputs to the transponder)
Channel 1 has the 430 serial input, Is the output line available?
Channel 3 SL30
Channel 4 Arinc adapter.
OR
I have a single screen set up. Could I add a second screen and input to the new unit?

Trevor Conroy
02-04-2011, 12:08 PM
It sounds like you are limited on inputs with that single screen. The cheapest option would probably be to buy a separate altitude encoder which free's up serial #2 for the ADS-600B. A second screen would give you 4 additional ports to utilize. At some point we will eliminate the need for serial data from the GNS-430/530 (only using ARINC). I'm not sure we have a time-frame on that one yet.

AltonD
02-04-2011, 01:23 PM
It sounds like you are limited on inputs with that single screen. . . . A second screen would give you 4 additional ports to utilize. At some point we will eliminate the need for serial data from the GNS-430/530 (only using ARINC). I'm not sure we have a time-frame on that one yet.

Sounds like a good excuse to buy a second screen, upgrade my existing one to SV, and add ADSB.

Trevor Conroy
02-04-2011, 01:54 PM
I won't talk you out of it... :)

AltonD
02-04-2011, 04:34 PM
I won't talk you out of it... :)
Question: If I get the MFD slave, do I get the extraRS232 ports?

Trevor Conroy
02-04-2011, 04:46 PM
You sure do!

DONVS
02-04-2011, 08:53 PM
Trevor,
What about us 480 users? If you can eliminate the serial for the 430/530 is it also possible for the 480?

Trevor Conroy
02-07-2011, 09:19 AM
I'll check with the software guys on that.

Trevor Conroy
02-08-2011, 04:46 PM
Yes, the upgrade will eliminate the need for serial input from a 480/430/530.

anymouse
05-03-2011, 05:34 AM
Been a while since I bugged y'all about the weather. Any updates??

Trevor Conroy
05-03-2011, 08:25 AM
Version 8.3.28 of the software for the s-cpu has ADS-B weather and traffic support

dnelson
01-04-2012, 09:04 AM
I'm giving serious consideration to purchasing the Navworx ADS600-B UAT Transceiver. So far, it's my understanding that I do not need Navworx's ARINC-429 option as all communications are done over RS-232. Correct?

Thank you,
/\/elson

Rob Hickman
01-04-2012, 10:11 AM
You do not need the ARINC version for the EFIS.

You do need to have the new "S" CPU in the EFIS.

dnelson
01-04-2012, 02:26 PM
Excellent - Thank you.

recapen
04-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Now that ADS-B traffic and weather are working through the NavWorx unit, what are the added benefits of having a GTX330 with the NavWorx box(other than mode S)? I currently have a SL-70 which does not do mode S.

Rob Hickman
04-10-2012, 12:20 PM
If you are in an area with TIS and not ADSB you would have traffic.