PDA

View Full Version : Tecnam - Garmin 696 + AFS together

pjsieders
09-05-2013, 08:05 PM
Hello Rob,

I asked the question on Facebook already but I am intrigued. You said the flt plan was fed to the AFS from the 696. That is great.

My ideal platform would be to have a Garmin G3X hooked up with their Autopilot panel and engine sensors to a duo AFS 5600.

1. Would that be possible ?
2. Will the engine data be available on all screens ? i.e. Will the garmin feed the info to the AFS screens?
3. Could you steer the autopilot as a backup from the AFS screens ? And would the functionality of the garmin GMC305 autopilot unit be coupled back to the AFS ?

thanks for the info for an informed decision.

Patrick Sieders

Rob Hickman
09-06-2013, 11:54 AM
Hello Rob,

I asked the question on Facebook already but I am intrigued. You said the flt plan was fed to the AFS from the 696. That is great.

My ideal platform would be to have a Garmin G3X hooked up with their Autopilot panel and engine sensors to a duo AFS 5600.

1. Would that be possible ?
2. Will the engine data be available on all screens ? i.e. Will the garmin feed the info to the AFS screens?
3. Could you steer the autopilot as a backup from the AFS screens ? And would the functionality of the garmin GMC305 autopilot unit be coupled back to the AFS ?

thanks for the info for an informed decision.

Patrick Sieders
The G3X and their AP will not talk to the EFIS. The NMEA flight plan from it would transfer to the AF-5600.

pjsieders
09-06-2013, 12:48 PM
Rob,

That clears things up.. Too bad but I figured that Garmin kept their protocols close. Was hoping though..

Thanks for the quick response.
Patrick