PDA

View Full Version : auto-crs for localizer

brianjohnson
07-04-2013, 06:32 AM
Is there a way to get the EFIS to do auto-crs for an ISL/Localizer approach?

amekler
07-04-2013, 10:33 AM
i asked rob about this before. it's an extra step and if you don't set the course potentially disastrous.
alan

brianjohnson
07-04-2013, 12:06 PM
well, disastrous might be a bit of an exaggeration, setting the course is pretty much SOP for most standalone HSIs that I have used, but it's a nice feature that is present on some systems like the G1000. I don't have a chart subscription, but I believe it will auto-select the correct chart if you do, so I'm assuming the EFIS receives information about the specific approach from the GPS. Given that, it seems reasonable that the EFIS should be able to select the correct LOC course. What was Rob's response?

brianjohnson
07-04-2013, 12:10 PM
Ok, I found the discussion and see why it was such a big problem. http://www.advanced-flight-systems.com/Forum2/showthread.php?647-Bug-Report-Offset-in-subsequent-quot-Direct-To-quot-courses/page2
Was there a resolution to this?

amekler
07-04-2013, 12:56 PM
no
i could not duplicate the problem.
other planes i have flown when you put in the ils frequency the course needle was automatic(g1000, kns80)
the afs ap does a much better job flying a gps LPV than an ILS.

alan

brianjohnson
07-04-2013, 02:32 PM
Yea, I've never experienced an autopilot issue, it's just nice to have it automatically align the needle with the LOC course

darnold
05-14-2014, 08:14 AM
So, I am planning to attempt to fly a fully automated ILS this weekend (to test that everything is working) using my GTN650 and the AF4500 (along with the AFS Autopilot). What is not clear to me is how to set the localiser course (OBS) when flying a GPS route.

More specifically, is the LOC course automatically loaded from the GTN650 so that when the GTN650 transitions from GPS to VLOC (and thus the EFIS transitions from GPS to VOR) is everything corrrect (i.e., the correct ILS CRS/OBS is set). If I need to "manually" set the CRS/OBS to the correct ILS heading how do I do this? What I mean by this is, if I am flying a GPS course do I need to temporarily switch-over from GPS to VOR/ILS on the EFIS so that I can set the CRS (OBS)? If so, this seems like an odd thing to have to do.

Rob Hickman
05-14-2014, 09:02 AM
The LOC course is not sent from the GTN650 to the EFIS. If you are flying a complete GPS approach that terminates with an ILS from the GTN650 the EFIS will set the inbound CRS to the last GPS course in the flight plan. As soon as the CDI switches to NAV I check and set the OBS for the inbound course.

sjarrell
05-19-2014, 06:58 PM
The LOC course is not sent from the GTN650 to the EFIS. If you are flying a complete GPS approach that terminates with an ILS from the GTN650 the EFIS will set the inbound CRS to the last GPS course in the flight plan. As soon as the CDI switches to NAV I check and set the OBS for the inbound course.
Does this hold true as well for the 430W?

Thanks,

Steve

amekler
05-20-2014, 01:34 AM
steve,
yes as soon as the 430w switches yo bloc you must set the ils course. it is not automatic.
alan

sjarrell
05-20-2014, 10:11 AM
steve,
yes as soon as the 430w switches yo bloc you must set the ils course. it is not automatic.
alan
Ok, so I just watched the video here. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EWVCERR0Is) If the EFIS is following a flight plan from the 430 it WILL send the course automatically. That's all I'd expect it to do!