PDA

View Full Version : XM Weather inputs

Atomicflyboy
04-22-2010, 10:46 AM
I think it's great that the AF-4500 will support XM weather, however, I already have a Garmin 696 (XM Weather) and will panel mount it as a backup (can you have enough?).

Can I input that weather signal into the EFIS?

TrueAirSpeed
04-24-2010, 05:52 AM
I too have a panel mount 696 and the 4500. My question is why pay two subscriptions , when the Garmin is more portable? Is the weather on the 4500, via WxWorx, more timely, better clarity?

Terry

Rob Hickman
04-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Nope, the Garmin does not send weather data

orchidman
04-25-2010, 07:58 AM
I too have a panel mount 696 and the 4500. My question is why pay two subscriptions , when the Garmin is more portable? Is the weather on the 4500, via WxWorx, more timely, better clarity?

Terry

There are only 2 commercial sources. XM and WxWrox. With a Garmin, you subscribe to XM weather. I don't know what the government is using with ADS-B but it is/will be free.

Rob Hickman
04-27-2010, 11:53 AM
There are only 2 commercial sources. XM and WxWrox. With a Garmin, you subscribe to XM weather. I don't know what the government is using with ADS-B but it is/will be free.

XM is WeatherWorx.

orchidman
04-28-2010, 04:29 AM
XM is WeatherWorx.

On my 496, I subscribe to the WX through my XM radio subscription. Is XM re-branding WeatherWrox?

ArjanPlomp
04-28-2010, 10:17 AM
XM (Sirius XM) is the provider of the weather data. WeatherWorx and Garmin simply use their weather service to obtain this data. XM weather data comes via satellite and is therefore available thru out the country.

NavWorx uses ADS-B (which is data provided via the Government). It is free, but not yet available everywhere as it uses ground stations.

Advanced uses the WeatherWorx hardware to obtain XM weather data and present it to you. My understanding is that Advanced also supports, or are working on, the NavWorx unit. I do not represent Advanced, so do not take my word for that.

Hope this helps?