PDA

View Full Version : Dimming the Screens

BSteeves
05-13-2013, 09:18 AM
I am just in the stage of wiring and installing my avionics and curious about dimming. I will have 2 5600's and 1 5500 screens and was curious if you need to dim all screens independantly or when one is done the others follow?

Second question is, is there a way to hook up other items like the GTN-650 or GMA 240 also so they all dim together.

Thanks for help.

Brian

rleffler
05-13-2013, 09:46 AM
Brian,

I don't think there is a perfect answer to your question. It is possible to connect everything to a common dimmer, but your result may vary from manufacturer. The reason is that each manufacturer may have different lighting curves than other manufacturers, so they may not dim at the same rate. On the GTN-650, you have some ability to modify the contour of the curve.

In my RV-10, I'm going to experiment for awhile with the auto dimming features found in a lot of avionics. I don't mind dimming the EFIS manually. Then I'll determine if I need more control. I do have all my switches, interior lighting, and annunciators o
n separate dimmers.

BSteeves
05-13-2013, 10:57 AM
Thanks Bob. I was not aware that the AFS screens had auto dim on them. I will have to just try it and see how it goes and if needed work on a solution then.

Appreciate the help.

Brian

Rob Hickman
05-13-2013, 11:08 AM
Thanks Bob. I was not aware that the AFS screens had auto dim on them. I will have to just try it and see how it goes and if needed work on a solution then.

Appreciate the help.

Brian
The EFIS screens do not have auto dim, if you dim one screen they all will dim together.

rleffler
05-14-2013, 08:32 AM
The auto dimming I was referencing the Garmin and PSE gear, not the EFIS screens. I stated that I will dim the screens manually day one. Dimming the EFIS manually is easy and can be done, whereas the other gear you can usually only make changes while in config mode.

Appreciate the help.

Brian