PDA

View Full Version : Two GPS on one screen

brianjohnson
05-12-2013, 03:58 PM
I have a single 5500 and I have two GPS units. One is GNS480 with GPS/NAV and the other has GPS only. The GNS480 is connected to one of the serial ports and the ARINC module. The manual says not to connect two GPS sources to the same screen if you have more than one screen, but is it ok if you only have one screen? I remember something about the EFIS trying to match up the data from the 429 inputs with the 232 inputs, so does it automatically figure out which 232 input goes with the ARINC module? How should I wire this setup to work correctly? Thanks.

Rob Hickman
05-12-2013, 07:52 PM
Use serial port 1 for the 480 and Arinc module. Serial port 3 can then can be connected to the second GPS.

brianjohnson
05-13-2013, 04:59 AM
That's what I ended up with and it works with one small bug: the map source will not show the flight plan from the second GPS until it has been used as the main CDI source. Once you have flipped the CDI source back and forth once you can then change the map source separately and it picks up the flight plans from both GPS units.

Rob Hickman
05-13-2013, 08:43 AM
I will get the software department to check it in the next release.

brianjohnson
05-22-2013, 09:47 PM
I was doing some rewiring to switch to serial 5 on my GNS480 as suggested by the Apollo guys to get the standby bridge nav and now I'm having a really strange issue. For some reason the EFIS is not picking up GPS from the serial or ARINC module. Also, the ILS/VOR only works when I output it to what is listed in the installation manual as the GPS input on the ARINC module. Finally, when in this configuration the CDI works fine on the EFIS (for the ILS/VOR) but the CDI/NAV function on the 480 always shows a course of 0. However, if I put the EFIS in test mode and adjust the course the 480 displays it correctly. I can't get any CDI or waypoints to show up on the EFIS and the test says it's not receiving any information. I have checked the continuity of all the wires from EFIS/ARINC connectors to the 480 connectors. The serial test shows data coming in to serial port 1 (serial output 5 from GNS480).

brianjohnson
05-23-2013, 06:40 PM
I worked this out with Ken and everything is working now