PDA

View Full Version : Using internal flight plan with AFS gps

art.pileggi
01-13-2013, 11:53 AM
My GTN650 is giving me regular "GPS LOST" messages (I suspect the problem is the antenna). I am trying the use the internal flight plan loaded from the GTN650 (GNAV1) with the AFS gps (GPS2) which is not affected by the "GPS LOST" problem. But when I assign the internal flight plan to GPS2 I lose the flight plan. When I assign the map source to GPS2 I have my position but no flight plan. When I assign the CRS to gps 2 I lose my CRS. How do I use GPS2 with the internal flight plan loaded from GNAV1?

Rob Hickman
01-13-2013, 06:18 PM
The flight plans are independent and tied to the GPS input. You need to enter a flight plan in the EFIS for GPS2, or you could save the GNAV1 flight plan and then load it for GPS2.

After fighting with lost GPS with my Garmin GTN650 for 6 months Garmin finally replaced it and it has worked perfect for the last 15 hours. When I sent it in they said nothing was wrong with it, it failed in the first 5 minutes after getting it back. I finally convinced them that it was not my plane when I flew a borrowed unit for five hours without any problem.

art.pileggi
01-29-2013, 05:35 PM
or you could save the GNAV1 flight plan and then load it for GPS2.

I have been unable to save the flight plan. I put a SD in the slot (not write protected). I select the flight plane save option. I get a flashing message saying the SD is ready do not remove. I just keeps flashing. After a few minutes I tried the save again. The message kept flashing. The selection showed 2 copies of the flight plan in the directory but the load option would not work. I finally removed the SD the same message was still flashing and did not stop flashing until I shut off the unit. When I got home I looked at the contents of the SD and nothing was written on it. I assume I am doing something wrong but I don't know what.

nickm
01-30-2013, 12:17 PM
Would it be possible to get a picture of the FILES listing under your flight plan on the device that has two flight plans listed?

Thanks
Nick

art.pileggi
01-30-2013, 01:41 PM
Would it be possible to get a picture of the FILES listing under your flight plan on the device that has two flight plans listed?

The flight plans shown were only listed by the joy stick on the PFD (I haven't tried saving with the MFD). The SD card itself has no files. Once power was turned off the PFD lost the listing. The plane is now in for the annual which won't be started until next week.

If I can get access before then did you mean just a picture of the PFD screen by the joy stick?

nickm
01-31-2013, 09:10 AM
Photo's of the PFD (since that is the screen you are attempting to save the flight plan on if I understand correctly). The following sequence of 3 photos would actually be the most help in tracking this down.

1.) Enter a short flight plan.
2.) Go to SAVE the flight plan, take a photo right before you hit save.
3.) Modify the flight plan, either add or delete a way-point.
4.) Go to LOAD the saved flight plan, Take a photo right before you hit LOAD
5.) Take a photo after you hit LOAD.

Also, what version of software are you using? The About page (CHECK->ABOUT) should tell you near the top of the page.

Rob Hickman
02-01-2013, 09:50 AM
Install the latest software

http://www.advanced-flight-systems.com/Support/AF-5600/AF5000VX81601-MV15-AV40.zip

art.pileggi
03-02-2013, 12:27 PM
I installed the current version of the software and it now works. It looks like I flight plans are stored under the name of to departure and destination way points. Does this mean I can keep the SD card in the AFS-5600 and save/restore any number of flight plans?

Rob Hickman
03-02-2013, 03:05 PM
It will store multiple flight plans in internal memory, you dont have to use the SD card.