PDA

View Full Version : Remote AHRS Orientation Impact

DickF
08-25-2012, 07:28 PM
I have a flying RV-6A and will be upgrading from steam gauges to an AF5600. I'm preparing for the installation while awaiting arrival of the unit. I've built a shelf on the bulkhead behind the baggage compartment and have it oriented to be level when in level flight. My question pertains to the installation of the remote AHRS. According to the manual the AHRS is to be "closely aligned with the Aircraft." Without having had the benefit of a prepunched kit, getting it exactly aligned might be difficult. What happens if it is not perfectly aligned?

stickandrudderman
08-26-2012, 12:09 PM
Your heading display will be innacurate and you will get crosswind errors as a result. Ask me how I know!

rleffler
08-27-2012, 05:35 AM
I assuming that you are refering to the magnetometers, since the AHARS is internal to the EFIS.

Getting things aligned isn't that big of deal. I used a digital level to ensure that the shelf I built off the bulkhead was aligned properly. The doc does pretty good job of describing the process. If my memory serves me correctly, I think I had to downward angle the tray about 7 degrees on my RV-10.

Rob Hickman
08-27-2012, 08:45 AM
I assuming that you are refering to the magnetometers, since the AHARS is internal to the EFIS.

Getting things aligned isn't that big of deal. I used a digital level to ensure that the shelf I built off the bulkhead was aligned properly. The doc does pretty good job of describing the process. If my memory serves me correctly, I think I had to downward angle the tray about 7 degrees on my RV-10.

Our new AHRS is located in the remote Magnetometer Case and it does not have to be mounted at the same angle as the EFIS screen. The AHRS/Magnetometer should be mounted level with the aircraft (Pitch and Roll).

rv8iator
09-22-2012, 12:30 PM
What defines "new magnatometer"? Mine was manufactured 6/2011. I mounted it at 7 degree pitch to match the panel inclination on my RV-8.

Rob Hickman
09-23-2012, 09:56 AM
The new AHRS-Magnetometer is mounted in armed case.