PDA

View Full Version : Databases!

douglassmt
04-03-2012, 12:28 PM
I'm a little confused about the various databases I'll need for my system. I have the 5600 and 5500 and a GTN 650. I know I get the Map databases for the AFS products, but which Garmin databases will I need? Which databases does AFS offer that will eliminate the need for a Garmin database. I would like to know what I'll need for both VFR and future IFR flights - the most economical option.

Thanks
Bryan Douglass
RV-10
N242BD

rleffler
04-04-2012, 05:34 AM
Bryan, That's a good question. I think there isn't a good answer. For things like terrian and obstacles, many folks don't update every cycle. Also, it comes down to which data and display that you want to trust. I'm not making any implications as to which is better, just stating this may be the only area that you may have an option depending on the level of redundacy and risk you wish to take on. For Safe Taxi, I don't think it matters. Clearly the screens are larger on the AFS units. Navdata is a no brainer, you'll want both.

I'll probably fly with full subscriptions on both the EFIS and the GTN for the first year just to gather enough data from an ergonomics perspective to make a decision on which to keep.

bob