PDA

View Full Version : Magnetometer installation & location

recapen
02-22-2012, 05:44 AM
Anyone have photographs of their magnetometer installations? I am getting ready to finish the final hardware installation and would like to see how others have done it.

Specifically, I am looking for the mounting bracket and where/how the bracket was mounted. I am considering mounting it on one of the vertical bulkheads aft of the baggage compartment in my RV6A.

One of the issues I am facing is the alignment between the selected bulkhead and the instrument panel. The instructions say the magnetometer and main (display) box should be installed aligned to each other within 2/10ths of a degree. This means making a mounting bracket with a six degree angle to accomodate the instrument panel.

Any guidance is welcome,

Ralph Capen

Roy Thoma
02-22-2012, 10:24 AM
Ralph,

There is a thread discussing Dynon magnetometer mounting in a 6A at http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=81187 . The Dynon magnetometer and the AFS magnetometer have the same form factor and mounting. They DO NOT have the same electrical interface.

I used the SafeAir mount mentioned several time in the thread for my magnetometer.

Regards,

Roy

vickruis
02-22-2012, 11:00 AM
Here's mine, mounted in my 7A:
Indeed, keep the angles exactly the same and stay well clear of the autopilot servo.

Victor Kruis.
http://www.hobopagina.nl/RV7a/Index.htm

AndresAckerley
05-18-2012, 06:08 AM
I am having same question that was being discount in that forum link which Roy shared about SafeAir unit. Can anybody put more light on this?

recapen
05-24-2012, 05:54 AM
How about mounting two of them together...Is there a spacing requirement...x" away from each other. I am also considering putting an ADS600B back there...Is there a spacing requirement from the antennas?

rleffler
05-24-2012, 09:04 AM
How about mounting two of them together...Is there a spacing requirement...x" away from each other. I am also considering putting an ADS600B back there...Is there a spacing requirement from the antennas?

Yes, the spacing requirement is in the manual.

Here's how I mounted them in my RV-10

http://www.kitlog.com/photos/project_260/full/FP27022012A0001V.jpg

recapen
05-24-2012, 10:18 AM
Thanks - I like the 'tray' look.

recapen
06-02-2012, 09:44 AM
Got it installed and have completed the alignment procedure. The on-screen instructions did not mention facing north - simply Taxiing in a complete circle. I did get the "Alignment Complete press return" message and the "Magnetometer Align" message is now gone. Still getting the "Aiding Disabled" message on the screen - even after power-down and restart.

I don't recall seeing anything in the manual about other reasons for aiding disabled messages.

I'll try flying it.
Flew it - "Aiding Disabled" went away shortly after take-off. Came back after I landed though. Maybe it needs something to aid.... Seems to work correctly - including driving the S-Tec 30 Autopilot through the GPSS coupler.

Would still like to know if this is the correct behaviour

Thanks in advance,
Ralph

Rob Hickman
06-02-2012, 03:57 PM
The aiding message on the ground is normal, it only sends data while in flight.

recapen
06-03-2012, 04:45 AM
As I experienced - thanks for verifying that it is working correctly.