PDA

View Full Version : Europe maps

stickandrudderman
01-22-2012, 06:46 AM
Having just downloaded the latest map update from Jepp I see a file called "navdata.jsc".
I don't recall seeing this before. I'm going to the airfield now to see if the maps will run with that file.

Rob Hickman
01-22-2012, 05:16 PM
Not sure what that file is, it might be somthing their software loader uses.

stickandrudderman
01-23-2012, 01:30 AM
Well, I left it on the card and tried it and the map appeared to work OK, although I only switched it on and didn't actually go anywhere.
Slightly related:
My home airfield is inside the London TMA but that TMA soesn't show on the map, even if I zoom in/out.
Is there a possibility to get airspace warnings even though I'm only using the AFS GPS, if not now then might it be possible in the future?

vickruis
01-23-2012, 01:54 AM
My home airfield is inside the London TMA but that TMA soesn't show on the map, even if I zoom in/out.
Is there a possibility to get airspace warnings even though I'm only using the AFS GPS, if not now then might it be possible in the future?

And also related: here in The Netherlands I cannot see any VOR's... Do you get them on your screen?

stickandrudderman
01-23-2012, 12:16 PM
No, I don't.

vickruis
01-24-2012, 01:13 AM
From the Jeppesen website (http://jeppdirect.jeppesen.com/legal/charts/ads-afs.jsp#matrix):

NavData – provides you with vital knowledge of airport features, runway characteristics, communications information, waypoint features, SIDs, STARs, terminal approach procedure information, VORs, NDBs and a comprehensive set of boundaries for controlled/restricted airspace.

Norman
01-24-2012, 01:48 PM
Could this be something to do with Class A in the US being above 18,000ft. Is there a parameter to switch on Class A?

Norman

stickandrudderman
01-25-2012, 11:26 AM
A good question Norman!

stickandrudderman
01-28-2012, 12:06 PM
Correction, I can get VORs but not NDBs
That said, take a look at this image:
The yellow circle marked "28 SFC" is in this picture is, according to my paper chart, an NDB (WCO)
However, nothing on the electronic image suggests that to be the case. Perhaps it's a Jepp thing?

amekler
01-28-2012, 05:26 PM
i believe 28/ sfc refers to the altitudes of the special use airspace in that area.
alan

stickandrudderman
01-29-2012, 11:46 AM
A good shout but not correct I'm afraid. The alt limits in that area are 5500 in the London TMA.

stickandrudderman
01-30-2012, 10:33 AM
OK, some of the mystery is solved. The yellow circle is a gas venting station and the 28 is height to fly above it.
It just so happens that it's sited right next to a NDB which doesn't show on the map.
I've spoken to Jepp UK today and at first they thought that the NDB wasn't showing because it's not included in VFR data but when I asked why I had VORs then they decided to move the question further up the chain... I'll let you know what the outcome is.

AFS Support
01-30-2012, 11:38 AM
Correct, the 28/SFC is Surface to 2800FT

stickandrudderman
01-30-2012, 11:58 AM
But no comment on the Jepp data?

AFS Support
01-30-2012, 06:26 PM
The Jeppesen data with the VOR and NDB is now available, they had to make a change in the data generation. The WCO (wescott) NDB now shows up in the data. Also, the yellow circle is a restricted airspace called AYLESBURY. It is a 0.2 NM circle, continuous usage, restrictive type: danger located at N51513700 W000574200.

Dave English
Advanced Flight Systems

stickandrudderman
01-31-2012, 01:35 AM
Great news. When I spoke to my UK rep yesterday they had no idea. How do I procure the latest data, from AFS or through JSUM?
Thanks for taking the time to find out about the yellow circle; it is shown on the UK CAA chart as "GVS", which means gas venting station.

Rob Hickman
01-31-2012, 09:37 PM
The next database update from Jeppesen should have it fixed. I think Dave checked it yesterday and it was fixed.

stickandrudderman
02-01-2012, 01:13 AM
Great thanks. The support here is one of the reasons I chose AFS in the first place.

stickandrudderman
02-01-2012, 01:15 PM
OK, more dramas!
I've tried to download the latest SW update from Jepp but I get an error message that says the card is expecting FAT32 but the file is in FAT16.
What next?

Rob Hickman
02-01-2012, 06:15 PM
1. Save all the current files from the card on your PC
2. Format the card Fat 32
3. Put the files back on the card
4. Try Jsum again

stickandrudderman
02-02-2012, 12:56 AM
OK I'll try that, but the card was working fine with the previous data, why would the format have chsnged on the card? The impression I get from the text is that the card is FAT32 but the file is FAT16. Forgive me for being so ignorant in these matters but by publishing everything here it gives others a chance to learn too.
Colin

Rob Hickman
02-02-2012, 09:00 AM
We have not seen this problem, did you try it again? I can have Dave talk to Jeppesen about it if you can provide more details.

stickandrudderman
02-02-2012, 01:00 PM
I was having issues with the data and was advised to download the latest update from the Jepp site.
When I tried to download the file I got an error message saying that the "drive was expecting a FAT32 file but the file is FAT16".
I deleted all files from the (previously working) card and re-formatted. I was then able to successfully download the Jepp file.
I haven't tried it in the aeroplane yet but will let you know when I have.
Colin

stickandrudderman
03-11-2012, 11:37 AM
The map data doesn't work. Screen says "No map file". If I re-insert the back up card then it works fine (with the old data).
Here's a screen shot of the file(s) as it appears on the card. Is there any way to check the file is not corrupted without physically taking the card to the aeroplane?79

Rob Hickman
03-12-2012, 11:54 AM
You have US terrain and vector data with a Europe MAP file, you should have:

AF2TEREU.AFM
AF2VECEU.AFM
AF2MAPEU.AFM

On your card...

Worldwide Jeppesen Data Files
The Terrain and Vector files are provided by Advanced Flight Systems and are rarely updated. The MAP files are provided by Jeppesen and install on the SD card using their JSUM program.
AF-3400 & AF-3500 non “S” CPU (older systems)
File Name Description Source

AFSTERxx.AFM Terrain height information for the US AFS Web Store
AFSVECWW.AFM Vector data for US roads/rivers/lakes/cities AFS Web Store
AFSMAPxx.AFM Navigational data (airports, obstacles, navaids, …) Jeppesen JSUM

AF-3400s, AF-3500s, AF-4500s “S” CPU (New Current Systems)
File Name Description Source

AF2TERxx.AFM Terrain height information for the US AFS Web Store
AF2VECxx.AFM Vector data for US roads/rivers/lakes/cities AFS Web Store
AF2MAPxx.AFM Navigational data (airports, obstacles, navaids, …) Jeppesen JSUM

xx Region Code for your area.

AF Africa
AS Asia
EU Europe
ME Middle East
NA North America
SA South America
PA Pacific

stickandrudderman
03-15-2012, 01:48 PM
Ok. First I must apologise for such a basic error!
I've rectified the obvious mistake but there's still a question mark over the map data.
Here's a photo of the display when on the ground at my home a/f (EGLD) which is inside the London TMA but this fact is not shown on the map. Even Heathrow (EGLL) doesn't appear to be in any controlled airspace. I've tried zooming in and out with no effect and I had a look to see if there was any way of determining which airspace is displayed in settings but I couldn't see anything there. Any ideas? It looks as though class A airspace is not included in the data, probably as in most other countries class A is only found at higher altitudes. There are a few places here in Europe though where, as in this example, class A is at surface level.
I am pleased to note that NDBs are now shown though!

LR2001
03-23-2012, 07:04 AM
I have been having the same issue here in Canada - I use the Jepp NA maps, and it does not show any VORs. Do you know if the fix they implemented for the EU guys has also been done for the NA maps?

Based on the struggles some others have had with upgrading, would like to confirm they fixed it before I try the upgrades on my own!
Thanks -
Matt

vickruis
03-24-2012, 11:28 PM
Yes, we do have the VOR's in Europe now, so the update worked for me. It was a Jeppesen update, not an AFS fix as I believe.

stickandrudderman
03-25-2012, 10:39 AM
LR2001 was asking if the fix applied to NA. I didn't reply as I have no idea. Vickruis is right that we now have VORs and NDBs but my main concern now is that whilst AFS support is excellent, Jeppesen's is non-existent.

Rob Hickman
03-26-2012, 03:50 PM
We are at Sun n Fun. Dave has a fix for the class A airspace problem almost ready.

stickandrudderman
03-30-2012, 03:41 AM
Rob,
Dave's fix has caused the screen to freeze completely and you inbox is full...

Rob Hickman
04-02-2012, 06:19 PM
We are returning from sun n fun, I will check it in the morning.