PDA

View Full Version : Bench Test of Equipment

flickroll
03-27-2010, 07:01 AM
I have a 4500EF, 3400EE, G430W, AFS AP, SL30, GTX327 and GMA240. I am trying to bench test everything before it all goes in the airplane. I have a few issues that I hope you can help me with.

1. Sometimes the EFIS' will start up with light blue for sky, darker blue for ground. Power recycles seem to fix this and make the ground either brown or green. I cannot repeat conditions that cause this. Also, sometimes on power up, the units will not recognize the map files. If I eject and then reinsert the SD card, that will sometimes fix it.

2. All of the ARINC/G430/SL30/G327 systems seem to be working fine with the possible exception of the autopilot. Is there a way to completely bench test the AP system? If I press 'EFIS' to the AP head (with the external toggle switched to AFS input), the AP head displays 'EXT LS' and 'VS'. I can control the roll servo by moving the heading bug, but I cannot move the pitch servo using the altitude bug. I have the AP in LAT:HDG and VER:ALT. How do I get it to control the pitch servo using bugs? I can control the pitch servo with 'SVS' when I press the AP button on the AP control head, so I know the pitch servo is otherwise working OK.

3. The simplest hookup of all, the G696, does not communicate with the EFIS units. I have the 696 set to Aviation In/NMEA & VHF Out, and 'Normal', I have the EFIS' set up as in your manual for a dual screen system, and the 696 has an active wayppoint. The 696 is on com1 of unit 2, and I even tried com3 with no success. The 696 worked communicated perfectly with a previous Dynon installation.

4. Sometimes the knobs on the units do not change the setpoint with one click. Most of the time they do, but sometimes it takes 2 clicks for a change in the desired setpoint (in other words, sometimes it seems to take 2 clicks to make a change). Is this normal?

By the way, your approach plates are AWESOME!! Even on the 3400 the plate is entirely readable, and the scrolling function is very useful as well. Your equipment is AMAZING!

Thanks

Jim Shannon

flickroll
03-27-2010, 10:30 AM
Another data point. If connect the 696 serial out directly to the SL30 RX, I can transfer 696 frequencies to the SL30. So that shows the 696 is communicating properly, but something is causing the AFS unit to not receive.

gribbled
04-01-2010, 08:24 PM
I did a little bench test of my 3500EF, 3500EM, ARINC, Magnetometer, and 496 GPS. No real issues, but I noticed the same thing with the knob on both displays - most of the time the first "click" is ignored.

I had no problem with the 496 - it was hooked up to serial1 of the 3500EM and I was able to get its information on both displays (as GPS2). It was neat to put a flight plan into the 496 and see the fpln "crossfill" onto both displays.

flickroll
04-03-2010, 09:09 PM
Turns out my 696 is bad - does not transmit. I tried a different one and it works well. However, the data passthrough from the 696 (feq's) does not pass through via ethernet from one EFIS to another and then on to the SL30. The SL30 must be on the same EFIS as the 696.