PDA

View Full Version : Extending EGT/CHT cables

rleffler
12-18-2011, 06:38 PM
I may have to extend a couple EGT/CHT lines. I'll know more tomorrow night. My question is if I do need to extend the lines, do I need to extend all the lines by the same length to keep the resistance the same? Or does it not matter? Is there a limit to how long the cables can be extended? I'm assuming that I'll need Type K fopr EGT and Type J for CHT, correct?

Also the link in the manual for the weatherpack.com link no longer exists, they changed their web site.

bob

Rob Hickman
12-19-2011, 12:30 PM
You should not have to lengthen the cables in the RV-10, you should check how you have them routed. You do not want them routed all over the place or near the Mag Pleads, they can be lengthened with J and K wire.

rleffler
12-19-2011, 08:45 PM
You should not have to lengthen the cables in the RV-10, you should check how you have them routed. You do not want them routed all over the place or near the Mag Pleads, they can be lengthened with J and K wire.

If they do need to be lengthen, does keeping the lengths the same critical? I don't know the resistance of the thermal couple wiring and whether not the difference is significant.

Unfortunately, I didn't check all the runs tonight. We spent most of the night sidetracked getting that one LPS4-3 installed on the middle rib into the firewall support and forgot to measure. I ended up routing them through a pass through on the other side of the panel to keep them away from my igintion wiring. If only I knew then what I know now, I would have probably located things differently.

rleffler
12-20-2011, 07:58 PM
It turns out I can reach 5 of 6 cylinders just fine. I'm about 6" too short to reach the last cylinder and route the cables with proper support.