PDA

View Full Version : Dual Nav support

recapen
11-02-2011, 05:51 AM
Has any consideration been given towards dual Nav support? I have an SL-30 and will soon upgrade my 420W to a 430W giving me two nav radios.

Even though the SL30 has a standby monitor feature for both Com and Nav frequencies, my 3400sEE appears to be only able to display one pointer at a time.

Without a second display head, performing an intercept-hold (or any other function using radials from two VORs) is going to be difficult at best involving switching sources and turning knobs...not the thing to be doing if you're in the goo (or taking a checkride).

Ralph

Rob Hickman
11-02-2011, 08:39 PM
You have both a CRS and BRG needle on the screen and you can independently select the nave source for each of them. When I need to do this I would set the CRS to the 430W and the BRG to the SL30 and when the bearing needle is at the desired bearing to the second VOR you are there. I find that in todays actual IFR environment with a 430W I never have to do this anymore and everything is rapidly changing to GPS.

The EFIS also has a third needle (BRG to SL30 Standby freq) that will display when you are monitoring the SL30 Nav STBY freq that can also be used for this.

recapen
11-03-2011, 06:25 AM
Thanks - I was thinking primarily of using two VORs in the IFR training scenario - and my checkride. I'll figure it out the way you've described it and see how that works under the hood. I'm doing my IFR training in my 6A and will be taking my checkride there too...

Rob Hickman
11-04-2011, 01:31 PM
I did the same thing in the RV-10, you should not have any problem.

recapen
11-13-2011, 08:09 AM
What does the third needle look like? I don't see any mentions of it in the manual. I tried looking for it the other day. The primary one was working and I had a freq in the swapover line and a radial in the parenthesis on the SL30.

Still got a lot to learn about all of this stuff before I give up m steam guages.....

Thanks

brianjohnson
05-12-2013, 05:58 AM
Should the bearing to standby work with anything other than an SL30? My GNS480 has a MON function for the VOR but I only see the yellow needle for the active

Rob Hickman
05-12-2013, 07:54 PM
I don't think the 480 sends the data for the standby freq.

brianjohnson
05-16-2013, 05:07 AM
I'll check with the Apollo guys and find out. Thanks.

brianjohnson
05-16-2013, 08:31 AM
They said it should work just like like the SL30, but I need to use serial port 5 to output so I'll try that out.