PDA

View Full Version : The 3500 doesn't run on internal power.

ao.frog
10-23-2011, 12:30 PM
Hi.

My RV-7 has just spent about 3 1/2 weeks on the ground due to some engine problem.

I've fixed that problem and today it was time for a testflight.
After power-up and just before engine start, I turned off the avoinic master switch as usual and expected the 3500 to start running on it's internal battery as usual, but instead it shut down immeadetely. (completely dark screen).

I started the engine anyway and the 3500 came back up (it initialized the usual way) when I turned on the avionic master switch again.

During the flight, the 3500 performed great as usual.

When I was ready to shut down after landing, I as usual turned off the avionic master switch, but once again the 3500 shut down when the switch came off.

During the last flight before this one, (3 1/2 weeks ago) the 3500 has switched to it's internal battery as it schould, and the stand by battery indicator has shown a fully charged battery.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem can be?

Is it somewhere in the menus I can find the voltage and state of the internal battery?

The 3500 was bought in 2006 or 2007 (I think) so maybe the internal battery is at the end of it's life?

Gary Wilcox
10-26-2011, 10:55 AM
Mine did exactly the same thing last year. I put in a new battery and it has been good ever since.

jkgoblue
10-27-2011, 02:27 PM
The same thing has happened to my 4500 and 3500. So if the unit doesn't stay on after shut down, you can assume the back up battery is dead? Without it staying on, there is no way to see the back up battery status icon.

My 4500 is less than a year old so that seems kind of quick for the battery to give out...

ao.frog
03-15-2013, 10:12 PM
This is an old tread, but this winter I finally found the problem: that the charger-circuit for the standby battery had failed and needed to be replaced.
According to Rob, this was a problem with a few 3400 and 3500.

This diagnosis was done with great help from AFS via e-mails, and due to the long shipping time from Norway to the US and back, I waited until mid-winter this year to do it due to the long downtime of the plane.

AFS replaced the circuit, updated the SW to the latest version, replaced both the standby batt and the internal clock battery, and the 3500 is now back in the plane, performing great as usual.:)

It's VERY good to know that AFS is giving great support!:D