PDA

View Full Version : Backup power and GPS antenna

timotb
08-22-2011, 09:47 AM
I am building an RV7a tip up with AFS-3500EE and Vertical Power VPX pro.

Two questions:

1. I would like to place the Garmin 430w GPS antenna on the upper outer skin between the firewall and first bulkhead just right of center. This puts the antenna only inches (12") from the AFS3500 rear case. I read some chatter somewhere this could be a problem. I dont recall seeing anything in the manual about this. Is this a concern?

2. I added a wire to Pin 15 on the main EFIS wire harness designated "Back up power" and ran that to VPX J10-10 designated EFIS Backup output bank B. This, in addition to having a wire from Pin 1 of the EFIS main harness going to VPX J12-9 designed EFIS main output bank A.

This should be a no brainer, I just wanted to be sure AFS EFIS can handle power simultaneously from two power sources without anything else to be done on my part.

Trevor Conroy
08-22-2011, 01:59 PM
The antenna should be positioned and installed in accordance with the Garmin GNS-400W Series Installation Manual (ref p/n 190-00356-02). Refer to sections 2-3, 3-10, and 7-2 in the manual.

Our recommendation is a minimum of 3 feet from any electronic device and 2-3 feet from any other antenna.

No problem with backup power coming from BANK B of the VP-X in addition to main input power on BANK A.