PDA

View Full Version : GNS 480 flight plan

Bill Rogers
07-01-2011, 10:09 AM
Will the AFS4500 display the flight plan for a GNS480? The 4500 seems to drive the AP fine based on the 480 flight plan, but it does not display the flight plan on the 4500 map. Am I missing something?

Bill

Trevor Conroy
07-01-2011, 10:25 AM
Bill, it should display the flight plan waypoints on the map. Is your map source set to GNAV 1? (MAP -> SETTINGS -> SRC/GNAV 1)

Bill Rogers
07-01-2011, 12:45 PM
I have had it set there before, but I can't remember if I had a flight plan in the 480 at that time. I usually leave the map source set to GPS2 (my AFS GPS) for redundancy and position crosschecking. Instead what I was changing is the navigation source to GNAV1. I'll try changing the map nav source and see what I get.

My speciffic configuration does not include the 480's RS232 position. Instead I rely on gettting that information over ARINC and backup position with AFS GPS. I was told this was fine, but could it be causing the issue I am seeing? Additionally the documentation says to set the 429 output on the 480 to "GAMA 429 NO FP". Not sure what "NO FP" means, but I am wandering if it means "no flight plan". There is another option available that is just "GAMA 429". Would this be more appropriate or should I stick with the NO FP as the documentation states?

Trevor Conroy
07-01-2011, 01:20 PM
If your Map SRC is set to GPS-2, than it's only getting info from your AFS-GPS. You'll want to change it to GNAV1 if you want it to use your GNS-480 as the source. I wouldn't worry about using it for "position crosschecking", the 480 is a certified device, so its as accurate as it gets. For redundancy, it is definitely a good idea having the AFS-GPS though. It's only a few soft-key presses away from being your primary GPS navigator. GAMA NO FP is correct.