PDA

View Full Version : Afs gps

rleffler
06-13-2011, 06:17 AM
Is there a spec sheet available for the AFS GPS?

Trevor Conroy
06-13-2011, 08:40 AM
Is there a specific piece of information you are looking for?

The GPS 18x 5Hz is an OEM high-sensitivity GPS sensor for use in machine control, guidance and agricultural applications that require 5 Hz position and velocity reports from a small, highly accurate GPS receiver.

Use in Small Spaces

This high-sensitivity, 12-parallel-channel, WAAS-enabled GPS comes with an integrated magnetic base for easy mounting. The puck-like receiver is 2.4" (6.1 cm) in diameter and weighs just a few ounces, making it an ideal solution for applications where space is at a premium.

Get Precise Position Data

The GPS 18x 5Hz stores configuration information in non-volatile memory so it starts up quickly each time you use it. It also has a real-time clock and raw measurement output data for sophisticated, high-precision dynamic applications. For extra precision, it offers 5 Hz Measurement Pulse Output with rising edges that align to precise 0.2 second increments of UTC time, as long as the receiver has reported a valid and accurate position during the past 4 seconds.

The GPS 18x 5Hz is a high-sensitivity GPS sensor that replaces the GPS 18 5Hz.

rleffler
06-13-2011, 08:51 AM
Is there a specific piece of information you are looking for?

This high-sensitivity, 12-parallel-channel, WAAS-enabled GPS comes with an integrated magnetic base for easy mounting. The puck-like receiver is 2.4" (6.1 cm) in diameter and weighs just a few ounces, making it an ideal solution for applications where space is at a premium.

That's what I was looking for...... There is no product description on the web site other than the price. I was curious to see if it was WAAS enabled.

On the other hand, a magnetic base?? Any way to take out the magnets? I assume that the puck is meant to set on the glareshield and not be externally mounted.

Trevor Conroy
06-13-2011, 10:17 AM
I have heard of guys removing the magnets though I don't think the newest models have magnets in them.

lux wrangler
06-21-2011, 06:40 AM
I have heard of guys removing the magnets though I don't think the newest models have magnets in them.-Trevor ConroyI don't know what "newest models" are, but I received my GPS18x-5Hz a year ago and it has magnets.

Trevor Conroy
06-21-2011, 12:11 PM
I'll have to test one out to see if they are still in there.

Bill Rogers
06-22-2011, 04:08 PM
Just bought one about a month ago and it had magnets. It was not hard to remove them with the soldering iron method.

rleffler
06-23-2011, 06:56 AM
Just bought one about a month ago and it had magnets. It was not hard to remove them with the soldering iron method.

Bill,

Please elaborate on the "soldering iron" method for the uninformed.

thanks,

bob

lux wrangler
06-23-2011, 07:49 AM
Please elaborate on the "soldering iron" method for the uninformed. -Bob
I think Bill is referring to this method by Chris Welsh, illustrated on vansairforce.com (scroll down to post 10): http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=51079&highlight=gps+garmin
Inspired by Chris' method, I removed mine surgically, without using heat.

Bill Rogers
06-26-2011, 04:35 PM
That is exactly right.

Paul Winkels
06-28-2011, 05:11 PM
I removed the magnets from the couple of gps pucks I have "surgically" using a razor blade and and a small screwdriver, then filling the void with epoxy. There is really no need for excessive heat. It's pretty easy to see where to cut.

rleffler
04-07-2013, 07:05 PM
The GPS that I got about a year ago, has the magnets in it. I'll probably try to remove them tomorrow.

I decided to shorten my AFS GPS today. When looking at the DB9 there was to black wires connected to the ground pin. Imagine my surprise when I cut the cable shorter and found three black wires plus the shield drain.

For those that have done this already, did you connect all three black wires to ground? If not, how do you determine which two black wires go to ground?

Thanks,

Bob

Jim Berry
04-08-2013, 10:58 AM
Bob,

I have the same question re wiring of the gps connector. I removed the magnets by using a flat bottomed dado bit from my router, chucked in my drillpress. Used the same diameter bit as the 4 recesses on the bottom of the puck. Made a nice, clean hole that was adequate to remove the magnets.Filled the holes with E6000.

Jim Berry
RV-10

Peter Pengilly
04-28-2013, 02:03 AM
Does the AF-GPS require power, or is it purely a data connection?

What are the pin-outs for the connector?

OK - answered my own question - it needs 5v. I'm guessing AFS includes a 5v pin in the 9 pin connector.
Where's the best place to get 5v from the serial 4 5v supply? The GPS 18 takes only 65ma and the serial 4 supply can provide 350ma.

Thanks, Peter

rleffler
04-29-2013, 01:11 PM
Does the AF-GPS require power, or is it purely a data connection?

What are the pin-outs for the connector?

OK - answered my own question - it needs 5v. I'm guessing AFS includes a 5v pin in the 9 pin connector.
Where's the best place to get 5v from the serial 4 5v supply? The GPS 18 takes only 65ma and the serial 4 supply can provide 350ma.

Thanks, Peter

You answered most of your questions. The the Garmin manual is available on garmin.com, which will give you the pin out.

bob