PDA

View Full Version : 4500 w/ ADS-B

RV7GUY
03-24-2011, 01:11 PM
Hi Rob,

I watched your video and was a little confused. I know the effort was to compare ADS-B vs. XM and the differences were evident. You mention the traffic and said you wouldn't put in a 330S transponder.

What would you use? I'm going for Dual 4500's dual ahrs. I am trying to finalize everything now. I have already purchased a 330S transponder for traffic purposes. If I can save some money.....

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler, AZ

rleffler
03-24-2011, 07:16 PM
Darwin,

I think Rob's comment was more 5600 orientated. I believe that for the 4500s, the 330 is still the best way to get TIS and Navworx for ADS-B.

bob

kentb
03-25-2011, 08:17 AM
ADS-B provides all the information that TIS has plus more. The TIS from the 330 is no longer needed.
You will still need a transponder until ATC will except the ADS-B transponder code output for aircraft identifcation.
When this happens (most likely years from now) I would assume that AFS would put a way into the EFIS so that you could set the ADS-B transponder code. This won't depend on having a 5600 or not.

Kent

Rob Hickman
03-25-2011, 09:17 AM
"I think Rob's comment was more 5600 orientated. I believe that for the 4500s, the 330 is still the best way to get TIS and ADS-B."

The GTX-330 will only receive TIS traffic, it cannot receive ADS-B traffic or weather data. As the radar sights are upgraded around the country you will lose the TIS signal, the new radar does not support TIS. The FAA has ADS-B working in many areas and it is growing all the time. The only reason that I see to have a GTX-330 is if you currently live in a area that has TIS and does not yet have ADS-B coverage. When I fly to Oshkosh from Oregon I have TIS traffic for about 15 minutes and then do not get it again until Minneapolis.

If you want traffic coverage everywhere buy the new Garmin active traffic system and connect it to our EFIS, the latest software supports it.

The ADS-B weather and traffic will work with any of our systems that have the new "s" CPU.

We will be showing a new headless mode C transponder at Sun-n-Fun for use with the AF-5600.

Rob Hickman

HowardGMac
03-25-2011, 11:26 AM
Rob,

For those of us not fortunate enough to get to Sun-n-Fun this year can you give us a post later about the transponder information ? Thanks !!

wcurtis
03-28-2011, 08:44 AM
..What would you use? I'm going for Dual 4500's dual ahrs. I am trying to finalize everything now. I have already purchased a 330S transponder for traffic purposes. If I can save some money.....

Darwin,

I think what Rob is alluding to, without actually suggestion a product, is that to receive improved traffic and weather information, if you have the Navworx unit, the simpler and less expensive GTX 327 transponder is all you need. The 330S will also work but a basic Mode C transponder with a REMOTE OUT capability, such as the GTX 327 or AFS remote transponder, will suffice.

http://nerv10.com/img/ads-b.jpg

William