PDA

View Full Version : 4500 synthetic vision/ zero pitch line

amekler
03-13-2011, 11:11 AM
The zero pitch line with synthetic vision confuses me looking at the attitude indicator. What is the proper technique to fly straight in level? Should I be looking at the zero pitch line or the attitude indicator?
Alan

Trevor Conroy
03-14-2011, 09:34 AM
The zero pitch line is where you line the point of the two FD wings up with. That will maintain level flight assuming you are in the same W&B configuration as when you setup the AHRS pitch. If you add someone to the back seat or change loading, you will find the zero pitch line won't be accurate (like any attitude indicator with the movable airplane). The best thing to do is maintain a constant scan of your airspeed, attitude, altitude, vertical speed, and heading to make slight adjustments to maintain level flight.

amekler
03-15-2011, 05:29 PM
The zero pitch line is where you line the point of the two FD wings up with. That will maintain level flight assuming you are in the same W&B configuration as when you setup the AHRS pitch. If you add someone to the back seat or change loading, you will find the zero pitch line won't be accurate (like any attitude indicator with the movable airplane). The best thing to do is maintain a constant scan of your airspeed, attitude, altitude, vertical speed, and heading to make slight adjustments to maintain level flight.

Trevor,
I configured the pitch while in straight and level flight. It took a 10 degree correction. Is this much correction unusual?
Also my magnetic heading is about 3 degrees of of the gps magnetic heading. Do I need to calibrate the magnetometer since upgrading to the 4500 or is this acceptable?
Alan
N668G
RV-10

Trevor Conroy
03-16-2011, 09:15 AM
Yes, that is normal. Note that the numbers on the map screen are GPS Track, not mag heading. If you aren't moving, and the box around the numbers is white, then it is using Mag HDG. Magenta box = GPS track.