PDA

View Full Version : Integrated/Descrete Transponder?

CharlieWaffles
01-21-2011, 01:01 PM
Are there any plans to have a transponder "black box" to integrate with the EFIS rather than relying on a separate device like the GTX series? I like the integrated approach Dynon brings, but I'd rather go the AFS route. I tried searching to see if this has been brought up before, but couldnt find anything.

Also, any news about what's happening feature wise with the new 5600?

Trevor Conroy
01-21-2011, 03:28 PM
Ask us at Sun n' Fun :). We are working on it and it will be cheaper than the Dynon option.

CharlieWaffles
01-21-2011, 05:05 PM
Great. A few other questions.

Does the Crossbow AHRS fit the stock Vans RV10 AHRS mount tray?
If you want two AHRS, is there a double unit, or is this just a case of mounting two descrete systems? How have people been mounting these in a Vans?
Any future for a small 5" style all in one back up instrument like Dynon has for those that want a fall back instrument?

Trevor Conroy
01-21-2011, 05:33 PM
The AHRS is built into the EFIS screen. It is just the remote magnetometer (remote compass) that gets mounted somewhere other than the panel. The best location is the bulkhead behind the baggage bulkhead rather than way out on the wing. Though you can surly put it out there. The footprint is the same as the Dynon magnetometer.

If you have dual AHRS, you need two magnetometers. They are two discrete systems that will cross-check each other during normal operations, but if one fails it won't take down the other.

As of right now, we have no plans for a smaller unit than our 6.4" screen. We've found the market is going towards larger screens rather than smaller which is why we've developed the AF-5600. We should have several on display at Sun n' Fun in late March!

SDClark
01-24-2011, 03:06 PM
Trevor, if AFS were to consider an integrated transponder, would that consideration include a remote unit or a panel mounted unit?

Thanks!

Trevor Conroy
01-24-2011, 03:58 PM
If we were to consider one, it would no doubt be remote mount :)