PDA

View Full Version : Airdata Auto-Configuration?

rshannon
01-17-2011, 10:39 PM
In [CONFIG][ADMIN...][DIAGNOSTICS] item #6 is "Airdata Auto-Configuration" with START & STOP options. Can't find anything in the manual about it. What is it, what does it do, and how should it be used?

Trevor Conroy
01-18-2011, 09:21 AM
This is enabled in admin mode only and should not be used by end-users. Please disable ADMIN mode on your unit by going into Instrument Calibration -> Admin Settings -> Administrator Mode -> Rotate the right knob a few clicks to the right, then press SELECT. We use it here to calibrate the airdata sensors when units are built.

rshannon
01-18-2011, 11:50 AM
This is enabled in admin mode only and should not be used by end-users. Please disable ADMIN mode on your unit by going into Instrument Calibration -> Admin Settings -> Administrator Mode -> Rotate the right knob a few clicks to the right, then press SELECT. We use it here to calibrate the airdata sensors when units are built.

My [ADMINISTRATOR MODE] said it's DISABLED, yet prior to posting this query, it _was_ possible to hit [AIRDATA AUTO-CONFIG][START], even though ADMIN MODE was DISABLED. So I don't understand your statement that [AIRDATA...] "is enabled in admin mode only." If you meant that hitting START doesn't actually _do_ anything unless ADMIN MODE is not DISABLED, a START item/option shouldn't be there.

Nevertheless, as instructed, at ADMIN MODE I twirled the knob (DISABLED turned to a count starting at 1000 and went up, to some random 10xx number) I hit SELECT, and ADMIN MODE returned to DISABLED status.

This raises a couple of other questions/concerns. If ADMIN MODE is DISABLED, AIRDATA-AUTO CONFIG shouldn't appear to be active, as it did here. The user should be protected, or at least slowed down, from doing something he's not supposed to do, especially where, as here, the AIRDATA item is not even under the ADMIN MODE menu structure. If it's supposed to be an ADMIN MODE item only, it should only be seen under ADMIN MODE, no?

Most importantly, there should be something in the manual to explain any and all items that appear on the screen, especially something a user is not supposed to touch. As any software engineer knows, if program logic allows a user to [easily] screw things up without warning, he will -- and it won't be his fault.

Trevor Conroy
01-18-2011, 01:52 PM
Hi Ron,

What version of software are you running? Looking at 8.2.19_BETA I think the software engineers removed it from the normal menus (only accessible in ADMIN mode). I thought that was the case in 7.10.24 as well, but maybe not.

You are absolutely correct, our intent is to have all of the critical calibration features in ADMIN mode so that the user can't accidentally change a calibration number. I will run though the current software version to make sure that is still the case.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

rshannon
01-18-2011, 03:39 PM
Yes, I'm running v7.10.24. Do you think the knob spin routine repaired/reset any damage done by pushing START a few days ago, if any?

The real problem is that AFS systems and service are otherwise so excellent, you've set a high bar for yourselves, and even higher expectations in the user base. Don't stop!! ;-)

Trevor Conroy
01-18-2011, 03:58 PM
I can't always keep up (manual updates) with our software guys chugging away developing new features for you guys. I sure try though!

Pressing START wouldn't have done any damage. Specific code is required to come through the serial port for the air-data calibration. No worries. Next time though you may here Jenny's voice through the headset telling you not to investigate things you are unsure of :)

rshannon
01-18-2011, 04:44 PM
1) Whew!
2) Jenny's voice and I are well acquainted now and of course, I always take her very seriously -- so that would be fine.
3) As for investigating things I'm not sure of, I would never have gotten to this lofty P-knuckle of achievement (hey, it's flying) without it. <g>

Thanks. Onward.