PDA

View Full Version : ADF Compatible EFIS?

Chris In Marshfield
01-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Hi all,

This may be a more generic question, not necessarily AFS specific. But are there any experimental-class EFISes out there that will accept an ADF input from one of the newer units like the digital King or S-TEC ADFs? From what it looked like, the G500 or G600 will accept the input. I was just curious about any of the others, AFS included.

Not that ADFs are even going to be "valid" in the next few years as GPS use continues to gain traction. But I do plan to keep VORs in my plans for backup purposes, and an ADF would be a nice addition if it's compatible.

Thanks and best regards,
Chris

Trevor Conroy
01-05-2011, 11:58 AM
Hi Chris. We do not support ADF's and I'm not sure of any other experimental EFIS systems that do. I know there is a certified product that does. Around the Portland area, all but 3 NDB's have been taken out of service over the last 3-4 years. Those 3 will be taken out of service before the end of the year from what I hear. To be honest, I wouldn't even worry about ADF compatibility. You will never use it other than maybe for training. When I got my IFR ticket I marked the ADF in the C-182 as inop and didn't have to use it for the checkride. I've flown a lot of IFR and have never needed the ADF for practical purposes in the actual IFR environment.

Chris In Marshfield
01-05-2011, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the reply, Trevor. Much appreciated.

Now there's a concept. Mark the device INOP and they can't test you on it :-) I'll keep that one in mind!

~Chris