PDA

View Full Version : OAT displays wrong values. What to do..??

ao.frog
11-28-2010, 06:30 AM
Hi.

I can't get the OAT to show correct values and I think the fault is that mine...?

I have entered two calibration points but the current manual doesn't say anything about entering any calibration points, only to change the shift value until OAT is reading correctly. (Pg 69)

Does this mean that I schould delete my two calibration points, enter 0 in the line for the number of calibration points and just change the shift value until OAT displays correct?
If I recall correctly, an earlier version of the manual said to enter one or two calibration points?

Here's how my OAT calibration screen looks today:

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/8159/oatcalibrnov2010.jpg (http://img152.imageshack.us/i/oatcalibrnov2010.jpg/)

The shiftvalue is set to -6,2 to get the OAT to show correct OAT but regardless of this, the OAT-indication during flight is way too high. For example it indicates -1* C while it's about -10*C outside...

Any ideas anyone?

ao.frog
06-02-2011, 12:06 AM
Hi.

Just an update to this tread: I've now installed the new type OAT-sensor: the one looking almost like a little airfoil. (earlier I had the old style: it looked like a little round "pin")
With this new style sensor, the OAT is now displaying correct values.

Before the first flight after installing the new sensor, I dind't change anything on the calibration page because I wanted to see the difference.
During that flight, it was evident that the OAT now was showing much more "logical" values.

Before the next flight, I adjusted it according to the manual and since then, the OAT has been performing great.

Therefore it seems to me like the problem is solved.

A special thanks to Rob and Travis who handed me a new sensor over the counter in their boot at S&F after I had explained the problem.
That's the type of support which counts in my book! I wish there where more companies like that! :-)

Trevor Conroy
06-06-2011, 09:21 AM
Excellent to hear, the new airfoil style sensor is a better one and is much more accurate. We've also found that customers are seeing much more accurate readings by installing the probe under the wings rather than in the NACA vent.