PDA

View Full Version : Switched Inputs on dual 4500s and single Alarm light

kbehrent
11-18-2010, 12:02 PM
I have a 4500EF and 4500EM. The alarm light and audio are connected on the EF unit. I currently have 2 switched inputs (UAT FAIL, MAIN ALT FAIL) connected to the EM unit. There is a possibility I may also add switched inputs to the EF unit as well.

Questions:
1) Do switched inputs trigger the alarm light?

2) if so, will I have to connect pin 14 on both the EF and EM units to the alarm light since switched inputs are not transferred between units?

3) As far as audio, only switched inputs on the unit that is connected to the audio panel will have audio?

Thanks

Trevor Conroy
11-18-2010, 06:01 PM
1) Yes, they will trigger the alarm light.
2) Inputs are local to each screen, they do not transfer over the network
3) Correct, if you have an input with audio configured for it, it will only play the audio on the local unit.

We don't transfer inputs over the network because we don't have the capability or room to display up to 12 inputs (you can have up to 4 screens on a network).

kbehrent
11-18-2010, 08:12 PM
Just to clarify, if i'm using a single alarm light and I have switched inputs on multiple displays, I will need to connect pin 14 on each display to the single alarm light? I understand that issues with the audio.

Thanks

Kevin

Trevor Conroy
11-19-2010, 09:14 AM
Kevin, I wouldn't recommend that. You will get duplicate warnings from both units if you do that. It could also have adverse hardware effects.

NoahF
11-19-2010, 11:14 AM
Kevin, you probably already know this, but since the alarm light pin is pulled to ground upon alarm, you can just put a diode in line with each alarm light wire prior to going to the light itself. This eliminates any cross talk between the boxes.

kbehrent
11-20-2010, 07:33 PM
Noah, Trevor & I talked on the phone regarding this and he suggested the same thing. Thanks for commenting as hopefully it may help others.

Thanks,
Kevin

msausen
08-14-2011, 07:10 PM
Along these same lines, is it necessary to connect the audio output from multiple 4500's or will one cover audio for multiples?

Trevor Conroy
08-15-2011, 08:32 AM
No, you should only connect the audio line from the EFIS in front of the pilot to your audio panel. All audio alerts are passed through the network to the master units (IP: 175).

NoahF
08-15-2011, 10:05 AM
For some reason my 4500 EF and EM do not function this way. In order to get audio from both I had to wire audio from both.

Anybody else confirm or deny this behavior?

kbehrent
08-15-2011, 11:03 PM
For some reason my 4500 EF and EM do not function this way. In order to get audio from both I had to wire audio from both.

Anybody else confirm or deny this behavior?

Noah,
Now that I think about it, I believe your right. On my 4500 EM, I get a Main Alt alarm when I don't turn the Alt on. However, I get no audio alert. The audio is connected to the other 4500 EFIS. I'll double check tomorrow, but I believe you may be right.

Trevor Conroy
08-16-2011, 08:21 AM
Verify the volume is turned up on the main unit and the ENGINE.AFD file is brought over to the EF from the EM so they match.