PDA

View Full Version : AOA for landing and taxi light installation

TClinton
11-17-2010, 10:55 AM
I need to know approximately what AOA I expect to see when flying a typical ILS (3.0 degree) glideslope. I am building an F1 Rocket and I expect about the same AOA as an RV-7 or 8. I will probably be flying final at about 90 KIAS. This info. is to help me figure out what angle to mount the Landing lights at (I am having help from an out of the country vendor). Also, when I am taxiing (obviously tail wheel down) what Angle to we think the wing is to the ground (for taxi light angle). Again, I expect this will be very similar to an RV-8. Thanks for any imput someone can offer.

Trevor Conroy
11-17-2010, 02:21 PM
Hello, the AOA you will see can be easily calculated by 1.3 * Vso. When calibrated, that should look like this (all red bars illuminated, yellow bars down to the green donut will be illuminated). When properly calibrated, there will be an actual readout of AOA angle (divided by 10) on the display. This applies to our EFIS AOA depiction and the AOA PRO. The AOA Sport does not have actual AOA readout, just lights.

TClinton
11-20-2010, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the reply Trevor. I need a little more guidance though. My airplane is several months away from flying. The book says that my heavy weight full flap Vso is 46 knots. I'll round up to 50 knots. 1.3 x 50 is 65 knots. My F1 buddy is recommending I fly 80 knots on final with full flaps. Thus, on a normal 3 degree final approach what angle will the wings be at? Thanks!!! Tony

Trevor Conroy
11-22-2010, 10:14 AM
Hi Tony. I don't have any way of calculating that number. You will be able to get the actual angle once you calibrate the AOA during flight.