PDA

View Full Version : jeppesen and AF

amekler
11-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Saw this today:

Jeppesen Navigation Data Now Available For LSA, Experimental Aircraft
Fri, 12 Nov '10

Advanced Flight Systems Avionics Units Teams With Chart Company
Jeppesen and Advanced Flight Systems, a supplier of avionics hardware for the light sport and experimental aircraft, have entered into an agreement to provide Jeppesen NavData and obstacle services for Advanced Flight Systems avionics navigation systems. The avionics data offering serves as part of a total Jeppesen light sport and experimental aircraft suite for both certified and non-certified aircraft.

“We now offer light sport and experimental pilots the top flight information and navigation data available, with Jeppesen NavData now available through Advanced Flight Systems avionics systems,” said Rob Hickman, CEO of Advanced Flight Systems. “This marks an exciting step forward, with the most accurate and complete navigation data now being offered onboard for Advanced Flight Systems customers through this agreement with Jeppesen.”

For light sport and experimental aircraft avionics systems, Jeppesen provides NavData navigation information, obstacle data and aviation parts and supplies offered through partner company Aviall. Jeppesen navigation data updates are available online, through the Jeppesen Services Update Manager system. Jeppesen also offers JeppView electronic charting for compatible avionics systems, which provides the only true, consistent worldwide electronic chart coverages for the industry.

“Jeppesen is expanding services provided for the innovators and aviation enthusiasts associated with the light sport and experimental aircraft industry, including world-class navigation data and leading online training programs,” said Scott Reagan, director, Jeppesen OEM Client Management. “Providing NavData information for Advanced Flight Systems avionics hardware helps to serve this dynamic segment of the aviation community and ensures delivery of the highest quality flight information available for aircraft owner/operators.”

Jeppesen NavData and obstacle services are available for the Advanced Flight Systems AF-4500 Advanced Deck, AF-3500 and AF-3400 avionics systems. Coverage areas include North America, South America, Europe, Africa, Eurasia, the Middle East and the Pacific region.

Jeppesen NavData is developed from a comprehensive aviation database, which is composed of more than one million records. To ensure accuracy, Jeppesen flight information analysts edit and verify approximately 150,000 database transactions generated from worldwide aviation data source documents during every 28-day revision cycle. This intensive process ensures that NavData provided for avionics systems such as Advanced Flight Systems is the most complete and accurate flight information available.

schmoboy
11-29-2010, 08:09 PM
So what is different/needed with the new Jepp terrain and vector files? Does it augment the existing AF Map files? Are both needed? Do you install just one or the other or both? Will the jepp terrain and vector data be updated and available for free just as the AF Map data is currently?

Trevor Conroy
11-30-2010, 04:51 PM
You need three files for mapping and/or synthetic vision. The AFMAP, AFVEC, and AFTER files. The Jep data is for our International customers. The terrain and vector files are on our website, the mapping file is downloaded from Jeppesens JSUM software program after a subscription has been purchased.

garymail
12-02-2010, 09:46 PM
how do I expunge the NOS charts and replace them with Jepps?

Trevor Conroy
12-03-2010, 09:04 AM
We do not currently have the ability to display Jeppesen charts on the EFIS screens.

pmaples
12-14-2010, 04:03 PM
i don't want to hold the class back but the: "The Jep data is for our International customers" and "We do not currently have the ability to display Jeppesen charts on the EFIS screens." seems to indicate that this not pertinent at this time?

Trevor Conroy
12-14-2010, 04:39 PM
The map data itself (airport location and information) is a completely different file type than the approach plates. We use Jeppesen mapping information to overlay on our maps but do not have the ability to display Jep Approach Plates. Currently the format of the Jep plates are not compatible with our units.

Bernard VDS
04-16-2011, 01:36 PM
I have the Jepp nav data from your website it is OK but what do I need to do to get the terrain data here in Europe ?

lancair390
04-17-2011, 02:45 AM
Bernard,
Here are the details I got from Jeppesen in Europe.
regards,
Christian
www.lancair.at

Prices for Navdata with Obstacle Data (Jahresrevisionsdienst(monthly) and One-Time Updates)
Part # 10018331 DAF13553
NavData+OBS.Coverage.AFS.Advanced Deck Series.VFR.Europe
270.30 €
119.00 €
ph: +49 6102 5070 | fax: +49 6102 508282 | fra-services@jeppesen.com
Jeppesen GmbH | Frankfurter Strasse 233 | 63263 Neu-Isenburg, Germany

Bernard VDS
05-21-2011, 11:27 PM
Hi Christian,
Did you receive some answer from Jeppesen on fra-service ?
I have send 2 mails and never received an answer, support from Jeppesen is not like AFS

lancair390
05-22-2011, 01:19 AM
Bernard,
I got answer the same day.
Give them a ring!

Christian

stickandrudderman
06-18-2011, 03:36 AM
I'll start by saying that I am very happy that I chose AFS for my installation but I'm very frustrated with the whole set-up process. I've just spent a good couple of hours deciphering from this forum and the AFS instructions how to download and install the European mapping software and I THINK I've finally worked it out. Why is it necessary for me to learn a whole new language in order to get the system up and running? I'm not particularly conversant with computer language but it shouldn't be necessary for me to be so. Surely it's possible to provide a simple set of "quick start" instructions, rather than the 70 page instruction manual in order to get a general feel of what is is one is trying to achieve?

Here's my synopsis, please tell me if it's right.

1. Understand that you must use two different SD cards for a) AFS software upgrades and b) mapping software/data
2. For card a) go to the AFS webstore and download the latest files for the correct operation of your unit onto the card. These files will be contained in a "zip" file, which is a digital envelope. Your AFS unit does not contain a letter opener and so you must remove the data from the envelope in order for the unit to be able to see it. This is done by executing the command "extract all files" on your computer. You must then install the card in your AFS unit BEFORE TURING IT ON. Once the card is inserted you can turn the unit on from the aircrafts main power supply and push buttons in the following sequence: (PLEASE ENTER CORRECT SEQUENCE) to get to the page where you can ask your unit to upload or "restore" the new files.
3.Understand that for the mapping data with synthetic vision there are three different files required for it to work. These files are for Map data, Terrain data and Vector data and so you will notice the terms "MAP", "TER" and "VEC" contained in the file names. You may also notice the terms "US" or "EU" somewhere in the file name. This gives you a clue as to the geography of the data contained therein and it's pertinance to your requirements.
4. Understand that for European users, you can only obtain one of these files from the AFS webstore, that being the "MAP" file. The other two files, "VEC" and "TER" must be obtained directly from Jeppeson.
5. Be aware that the Jeppeson website is not the easiest site to navigate. One would hope that by typing "AFS" into their search engine you would be directed to the correct page but alas, you are told that "nothing found".
6. Once you have found the correct page for AFS data, you will find that the page title (How to purchase) does nothing but instruct you to call them up.
7.When you look up the contact details on their site, you will notice that they are open Mon-Sat, but in fact they are not open on Saturdays. If you follow a link to the UK branch you will see that they are open on Saturdays, but when you call them up you will here a message saying "we're not open on Saturdays".
8.Be aware that this data may or may not be (when you finally get it) contained in another envelope (zip file) and you must follow the same procedure as for card a) to install it.
9. By the time you get this far you will think, forget this, I'm off to the pub!

stickandrudderman
06-18-2011, 09:24 AM
It's OK, I'm calm now! I realise some of the above is unreasonable, but, well, I don't know.......

Trevor Conroy
06-20-2011, 08:50 AM
I apologize for your frustrations. Here are the steps in a nutshell.
This applies to INTERNATIONAL Map Data only!

1) Install your MAP SD card in your computer and delete any existing map files
2) Download the latest Terrain and Vector files from our web store for your region (they are packaged in 1 compressed zip file).
3) Extract the contents of the zip file onto your SD card (should be 2 files one with VEC and one with TER in the name).
5) Call Jeppesen and order the map file for your region.
4) Use the Jeppesen Services Update Manager to download and install the map file onto the SD card. It programs it automatically.
5) You will now have another file on the card that looks like this "AFSMAPxx.AFM" (xx being your region).
6) Install the map card in your EFIS and power the EFIS on. Verify the map date is correct on the 'I Agree' screen.

stickandrudderman
06-20-2011, 03:05 PM
I apologize for your frustrations
Not necessary, I was having a bad day!
Thanks for the overview anyhow.
Colin

stickandrudderman
06-21-2011, 01:05 PM
Trevor,
I had another attempt this evening without success.
I have two SD cards, one I've labelled "SYS" and one I've labelled "MAP"
If I install my "MAP" sd card in my PC I can see that it contains 3 files:
AF2TERUE.AFM
AF2VECEU.AFM
AFSMAPEU.AFM

My "SYS" card has a folder called AF4000VS80328-MV15-AV40 and 21 other files amongst which are AFSVECUS.AFM, AFSMAPUS.AFM and AFSTERUS.AFM
Should I delete these US files?

I've tried installing both cards and then powering up but I still don't get any maps or any sign that the system has detected the new files and has uploaded them.
I get the "No map" text.
The "I agree" screen shows "57 10 24 MV15"
What am I doing wrong?
Colin

Trevor Conroy
06-21-2011, 03:26 PM
Colin,
You said your SYS card has a folder in it. Get rid of that folder and just put the install files in the root directory of the card. The ONLY files that should be on the SYS card are a folder called afs_install and files called ARINC.hex, VPXHW01.hex, VPXHW01.MD5, and ARINCTAS.hex.

stickandrudderman
06-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Success! Now I just have to work out why I've got "No GPS"........

Trevor Conroy
06-22-2011, 03:36 PM
Check your Serial Port settings in Instrument Calibration. Also verify the 3 lines below that which identifies your GPS/NAV Sources. Lastly, verify the map is set to use the correct source (MAP -> SETTINGS -> SRC (/GNAV1/GPS1/GPS2..efc)

stickandrudderman
06-22-2011, 11:59 PM
Thanks, I'll check it out.
Having installed the latest software as per your earlier instructions, does that mean that the latest ARINC software would automatically have been installed, or is that a separate procedure.
If it's separate, where do I find the latest software for ARINC? I've searched this forum and the manual and found references to downloading and installing the latest ARINC software but can't find a direct link to it on your store support page as stated on P64 of the manual.
Colin

Trevor Conroy
06-23-2011, 08:32 AM
Colin,

The ARINC software update instructions are on the last page of the software install instructions. The ARINC.hex file is one of the several files contained in the software zip file downloaded from our website. If you have the software on an SD card still, you should see the ARINC.hex file on the card.

stickandrudderman
06-24-2011, 04:10 AM
Hmmm, the ARINC software update instructions are NOT on the last page of the instructions. On the instructions index list (P1) it says" error in link".
I can see the ARINC.hex file on the sd card but when I try to install it at the correct place on the systems admin page it says "file not found".

Trevor Conroy
06-24-2011, 08:03 AM
ARINC P/N: 71,400 Software**Installation Instructions**(S/N: ALL)

1. Install new ARINC software (if you do not have an ARINC adaptor you can skip this step)
a) If you have an ARINC adapter check the software version using [CHECK] -> [MAINT] ->
[ABOUT] selection. Verify that your ARINC adaptor is running version 4.0 software, if it is
already running version 4.0 you can skip the following steps.
b) Enter the EFIS calibration menu using the new shortcut: [CHECK] -> [MAINT] -> [ADMIN] ->
then hold [CALIBRATION] button for 2 seconds.
c) Cycle power to the ARINC adaptor using the aircraft Master Switch. If the ARINC module is
powered on the same source as the EFIS the internal EFIS battery should keep the EFIS
running during the power cycle.
d) Select the following menu:
1. Admin Settings
21. System Maintenance
4. Upgrade ARINC Software
e) Press the start button to begin loading the new code. The screen will say, “Loading….xxx”.
Where xxx is the number of bytes transferred.
f) When the screen prints “Done.”, you can remove the card and reboot the EFIS and ARINC
Module by cycling the power to both units.
2. Remove the Software card from the EFIS and install the new MAP data card in the EFIS slot.
3. Verify that the new ARINC software installed
The following menu will display the current software versions: [CHECK] -> [MAINT.] -> [ABOUT]

Trevor Conroy
06-24-2011, 08:03 AM
ARINC P/N: 71,400 Software**Installation Instructions**(S/N: ALL)

1. Install new ARINC software (if you do not have an ARINC adaptor you can skip this step)
a) If you have an ARINC adapter check the software version using [CHECK] -> [MAINT] ->
[ABOUT] selection. Verify that your ARINC adaptor is running version 4.0 software, if it is
already running version 4.0 you can skip the following steps.
b) Enter the EFIS calibration menu using the new shortcut: [CHECK] -> [MAINT] -> [ADMIN] ->
then hold [CALIBRATION] button for 2 seconds.
c) Cycle power to the ARINC adaptor using the aircraft Master Switch. If the ARINC module is
powered on the same source as the EFIS the internal EFIS battery should keep the EFIS
running during the power cycle.
d) Select the following menu:
1. Admin Settings
21. System Maintenance
4. Upgrade ARINC Software
e) Press the start button to begin loading the new code. The screen will say, “Loading….xxx”.
Where xxx is the number of bytes transferred.
f) When the screen prints “Done.”, you can remove the card and reboot the EFIS and ARINC
Module by cycling the power to both units.
2. Remove the Software card from the EFIS and install the new MAP data card in the EFIS slot.
3. Verify that the new ARINC software installed
The following menu will display the current software versions: [CHECK] -> [MAINT.] -> [ABOUT]