PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 480 Install

jonesronc
10-31-2010, 02:00 PM
I've been working with Trevor to get the 480 working with a dual EFIS setup, even including Trevor sending a replacement ARINC-429 adapter. The ARINC portion is still not working, although the EFIS recognizes the ARINC being present and ARINC software 4.0. The 480 is sending GPS data via a serial port and I can draw a direct to line on the screens, but I still get a GPS flag, and no data on the ARINC GPS or VOR tests. I had a professional avionics AI verify the pin outs, and even swapped EFIS units to see if the issue was peculiar to one unit. The 480 is being sent off to make sure it's not defective. Has anybody had any personal experience with the 480? Are there any tricks or deviation from the AFS ARINC 480 diagram needed to get their setup to work? Thanks, Ron

Bill Rogers
04-16-2011, 11:24 AM
Did this ever get resolved? I am planning a panel upgrade and I have a GNS480. What was needed to make it work? Any info is apriciated. Thanks.

Bill

DONVS
04-16-2011, 06:39 PM
The most likely problem is that the 480 is not seated into its mount far enough. This is a common problem with the 480. Everything works except the items hooked to connector 5. Just crank the mount screw a little harder and you will probably get the arinc for the vor and the gps. On mine the gps hooks up first and then about an eigth of a turn later the vor gets connectec.

jonesronc
05-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Well, actually it turned out to be a bit more complicated than that. I sent the EFIS units back to AFS, and although they checked out ok on the computer, when they were hooked up to the ARINC, the ARINC didn't work. I upgraded to the SV, which replaced the MB's, and Trevor checked them on the computer and with a 480, and they now worked. Plugged them into the airplane after I got the 480 back (no defects except $850 worth of service bulletins), the ARINC worked until I turned the GTX-327 transponder on, at which point all the 480 serial ports got fried. Off to Garmin they went. Long story short, the transponder was sent back 3 times and the 480 twice more. It turns out the transponder RS-232 #2 was putting out buss voltage to the 480 and which was burning up its serial ports, and it turns Garmin doesn't routinely check for that. I only discovered it by breadboarding the transponder connector and connecting each pin out one at a time till I blew a fuse (and the 480) on last time. A multimeter confirmed 13 volts on RS-232 #2 vs .01 volts on RS-232 #1. A bunch of phone calls later, it's all getting fixed under repair warranty ($650 for the transponder). Kudos to Trevor, BTW, for all his help.

Ron

DONVS
05-03-2011, 02:16 PM
Wow. Glad mine was just the connector problem.