PDA

View Full Version : What's in charge

Wrgway
09-05-2010, 11:56 AM
I've seen a couple of refernces to a switch between the EFIS, 430 and AP to determine which nav source drives the AP. I don't have a switch and have had no problems with the system while shooting GPS approaches. I started last week brushing up on ILS's and am having difficulty getting the AP to track a nav signal. I have a Socerer, Garmin 430 and 3500 non "s". The last ILS approach I shot ended with continued flight parallel to the ILS with no indication the AP was going to intercept at the 15 deg angle entered. Wondering if the FD is interfering with approach as it's not configured properly.
Any help appreciated.

Don Riggs
N346SS

Trevor Conroy
09-07-2010, 09:01 AM
Don, the switch in our ARINC drawing is simply for redundancy. It allows the user to switch out the ARINC adapter and connects the GNS-430/530 directly to the autopilot. This way the GNS-430/530 will talk directly to the AP, bypassing the EFIS. Do you have the latest Sorcerer software (V 2.41) ? When you shot the ILS, did you have the GNS-430 in VLOC mode so it was sending the true localizer/glideslope signal to the autopilot or was it in GPS mode still?

Wrgway
09-13-2010, 09:45 AM
Hi Trevor,
I do believe I have the latest Tru Trak version as I upgraded to the Socerer in mid August 2010. Yes, the 430 was in VLOC mode and all setup for the approach was correct. I actually had an instructor that's very proficient with the 430 along for the ride to assist. I did see LOC and GS info on the efis but AP would never link up. In looking into the prints with a local electronic guru and I'm beginning to wonder if we're missing some wire. The fact that it tracks a GPS approach perfectly is a bit confusing but as I look at the diagrams it appears the LOC,GS info come into the AP on different pins so does the missing wire make sense? Dave Buchwalter built the panel but he tends to be very difficult to get in touch with so I've landed on your board. Also to use the EFIS to control AP I'm not sure how to do this. On your AP there is an EFIS button to push, how does that work with th Socere???

Thanks,
Don Riggs

Trevor Conroy
09-13-2010, 11:42 AM
Don, please check the version of AP software. It must be 2.38 or 2.41 to ensure full compatibility with the EFIS. When you press GPSS and GPSV on the Sorcerer, it should allow the EFIS to control it directly. If you put the 430 in VLOC mode, and the AP settings are LAT: NAV and VERT: NAV, it should be outputting the correct ARINC data to the Sorcerer. Are you putting the Sorcerer in NAV mode instead or are you leaving it in GPSS and GPSV mode? If the EFIS is displaying the LOC/GS info, the wiring is correct from the 430.

Wrgway
09-14-2010, 06:48 AM
Trevor, I'm traveling until Friday so I'll look at the software version then. I have not set the AP up correctly for control from the EFIS as I never used the GPSS or GPSV buttons so that probably solves that question. As for the tracking the 430 in VLOC mode did you write AP instead of EFIS? You wrote "If you put the 430 in VLOC mode, and the AP settings are LAT: NAV and VERT: NAV, it should be outputting the correct ARINC data to the Sorcerer."?
I have tried the LAT:NAV and VERT:NAV when attempting to track a vor signal from @ 7 miles out in the NAV mode on AP. Again the AP did not close to the CDI indicator but continued along straight as if it was in TRK mode.
Thanks for the help here.
Regards,
Don Riggs

Trevor Conroy
09-14-2010, 09:27 AM
Don, the Sorcerer AP is different than the Digiflight series in that it is able to fly a full approach on its own (with just a nav source). The Digiflight series needs an intermediary box like the EFIS to send it the correct ARINC GPS and/or ILS data. You could have wired your Sorcerer 1 of 2 ways. You could have wired the 430 output directly to the NAV input of the Sorcerer. In that case, you would put it in NAV mode and fly an ILS without touching the EFIS. Or, you could have the ARINC input coming from the EFIS and the 430 connected to your EFIS ARINC adapter. You would then control everything from the EFIS. Your Sorcerer would be in GPSS and GPSV mode the whole time (regardless of your EFIS LAT and/or VERT settings). In the second case, you could have your EFIS AP settings as LAT: HDG - VERT: ALT and the Sorcerer in GPSS & GPSV modes. It would then follow your HDG bug and ALT bug. If you changed the EFIS AP setting to LAT: ARM - VERT: ARM, it would fly the heading and altitude bugs until you were within 30 degrees of a lateral course (localizer) and then once that was established, the VERT would kick in to NAV mode and follow the glideslope down.

You mentioned your Sorcerer was in NAV mode when it would parallel track. That makes sense. By pressing NAV on the autopilot, you are removing the EFIS from the equation. It will then be following whatever you have wired to the NAV input (if anything). If you don't have anything connected, it may just hold heading or current track.

Wrgway
09-14-2010, 02:50 PM
Thanks Trevor, it's all starting to make sense now. I had a friend check the software version on my Soccerer and he reported back it is a 2.40. I think that's the next to latest version. As long as that is good I can't wait to gret home Friday and try it out.

Regards,

Don

Trevor Conroy
09-14-2010, 03:10 PM
Don, that could be part of the problem. According to Lucas as TruTrak, version 2.38 and 2.41 are the only two that will work correctly with our system. Other versions have vertical speed issues. I believe the lateral functions should work correctly in 2.40 though.

Wrgway
09-15-2010, 06:38 AM
Ok, that helps. I'll get hold of Tru Trak and get this unit back for an update!
Thanks again for all your help.

Best Regards,

Don Riggs